Fuel Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Leak

Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I have a 2003 7.3 E350 Van. As with everything on this van it's almost impossible to get to anything. I developed a fuel leak. It appears to be coming down the back of the motor and leaking over the starter. I also think I have fuel getting into the oil. I've seen posts about the valley filling up from bad o rings on the separator drain but don't know how to get to it. Also, I read that the injection pump could cause fuel leaks and oil diluting. How big of a job is this and how long do you think it would take? I use my van everyday for work and can't afford to be without it.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by High Mileage Jim; 06-28-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs down

33 hits with no response? Thanks for the non-help.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

now thats not cool man, not everybody who happens upon this thread will not know how to help.

As far as working on the van, yes everything is a pain to get to. The filter bowl drain valve orings probably need to be replaced, and you just have to grin and bear it to get to them. there is a write up floating around here somewhere on it......look under 7.3 repair help section. Your other possibilities are leaky feul lines around your filter bowl.......

Your engine has no injection pump, each injector is sorta like it's own pump.....google HEUI injection and you'll figure it out. Are you getting lots of fuel in your oil, or does it just smell a little like diesel? Is the truck running rough or smoking??
Old 07-11-2009, 03:48 PM

I dont think many people on this site have wroked on a van. but if you take the dog house off you shoul be able to see a little better. the nice thing about diesel vs gas diesel will not dry up so you will have a better idea of the leak. I have seen dozens of the fuel bowl drans leak like you said. but with out looking at it i cant tell the time. you may be able to pull it off without pulling the fuel bowl but dont know for sure good luck man.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ianstew,

You're right. That wasn't cool. But after 2 weeks I was very frustrated finding this problem and hoped I might get some help on this forum. I've fixed the external leak. It was not the separator or the drain. The problem was the fuel line that runs over the top of the engine had a split it it directly under the clamp, impossible to see due to the location under the turbo and under the windshield and cowl.

The fuel in the oil is a very small amount. It does run rough on start up but after it warms up it's as smooth as the day I bought it. I'll keep reserching it.

Jim
Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Mileage Jim View Post
Ianstew,

You're right. That wasn't cool. But after 2 weeks I was very frustrated finding this problem and hoped I might get some help on this forum. I've fixed the external leak. It was not the separator or the drain. The problem was the fuel line that runs over the top of the engine had a split it it directly under the clamp, impossible to see due to the location under the turbo and under the windshield and cowl.

The fuel in the oil is a very small amount. It does run rough on start up but after it warms up it's as smooth as the day I bought it. I'll keep reserching it.

Jim
If it's a small amount, you are probably getting some blow by with worn rings, scored cylinders, etc. I bet you've got pretty high miles......
Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Emergency Services

I happened to read the other thread you posted in ("E series owner"), so I happen to know that you have a 2003 7.3l van. There are a few things that can leak fuel on top of that engine. There are 4 lines that go in or out of the fuel bowl, the fuel drain, the lines that go to the heads. With the lines that go to the heads, there is the possibility that the lines them selves will wear through where the clamps hold them down. Passenger side runs under the turbo to the back. The driver's side runs to the front of the head under the air conditioner compressor / power steering /vacuum pump bracket. To get to this one, I would suggest unbolting the A/C compressor and moving it out to the side. Then unbolt the actual bracket. I think it holds on with 3 long bolts, and you can loosten them all and move the bracket to the outside a ways. You don't have to remove the vacuum pump or PS pump from the bracket, I don't think.

The final thing that can leak is the connections to the heads. The washers there are made of the same stuff as the ones that leak on the fuel bowl. The theory is that the new ULSD fuel eats away at the o-rings and washers. The other theory is that they are 6 years old, and it's just the life time of the rubber compound. I would go to Replacement O-rings for Diesel Engines and get a kit with all the parts you need to do the entire top-end fuel system. At 700K it's about time.

The fuel in the oil is probably due to the age and mileage of your injectors. They are driven by oil pressure, and they also contain fuel. When they wear, I believe that you can intermix some fuel and oil. It could also be the injector o-rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.