OK...I need Some help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK...I need Some help!

I was leaving the house the other day, just like everyday in my '99 F350 PS, and about a mile down the road the motor dies and wouldn't restart. Had a full tank so it wasn't out of fuel so I had it towed home. The next morning I tried to start it ...it started up and ran fine for about 10 minutes untill it got warmed up, then died again unable to restart. I was thinking it must not be something too major since it will restart after it sits awhile so I am hesitant to haul it down to the dealer if it's some simple fix. I don't have a code checker to pull any codes so if anyone reckognizes these symptoms of shutting down after it warms up I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Lover View Post
I was leaving the house the other day, just like everyday in my '99 F350 PS, and about a mile down the road the motor dies and wouldn't restart. Had a full tank so it wasn't out of fuel so I had it towed home. The next morning I tried to start it ...it started up and ran fine for about 10 minutes untill it got warmed up, then died again unable to restart. I was thinking it must not be something too major since it will restart after it sits awhile so I am hesitant to haul it down to the dealer if it's some simple fix. I don't have a code checker to pull any codes so if anyone reckognizes these symptoms of shutting down after it warms up I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Could be fuel filter, Cps (Cam Positioning Sensor), Could be the fuel Pump, What is the temp where your at.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Premium Member

to the site Ford Lover, you came to the right place. The first thing anyone here will tell you is to carry a spare CPS and a 10mm socket and ratchet in the truck. I'm no tech but that seems to be the norm. I'm sure one of the "smart" guys will come along and give you some help real soon.

Rob
Old 02-07-2007, 05:03 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

sounds to me like it could be ,maybe a cam sensor ,or oil level, is it full and has it been changed lately
Old 02-07-2007, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live down here in sunny Southern California just north of San Diego where we have been enjoying beautiful Spring-like weather in the mid 70's. I had the CPS go out once before, but back then the symptoms were more like it had bad fuel...bucking and coughing for awhile then smoothing out. This time it just dies and won't restart so I thought it may be something different this time. Has anybody had their truck outright die from a bad CPS before?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

absolutely ,can shut all the way down
Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Lover View Post
I live down here in sunny Southern California just north of San Diego where we have been enjoying beautiful Spring-like weather in the mid 70's. I had the CPS go out once before, but back then the symptoms were more like it had bad fuel...bucking and coughing for awhile then smoothing out. This time it just dies and won't restart so I thought it may be something different this time. Has anybody had their truck outright die from a bad CPS before?
Cam Sensor is a funny thing on the 7.3L sometimes it gives you warning of going and other times it just goes out and the truck just dies. When mine went out it I would be driving down the road and the truck just fall flat on its face and die. I then just threw the truck in neutral and shut it down and it would fire back up. Then I decided to replace the sensor. Sounds like your truck as the same thing going on that mine did but you are unable to start it back up right away.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 AM

Yep, sounds like the infamous CPS. Mine did the same as bigcountry's. The local stealership wanted $170 for a new CPS sensor plus $80 to install it. With the guidance of the great people here on the forum I looked on ebay and found a new CPS for $55. I haven't recieved it yet, but install sounds really easy. You just need a 10mm socket (6-point) on a 1/4" drive with an extension. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Why doesn't ford or international come up with a fix if this is happening alot? That's the question.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWStroker01 View Post
Why doesn't ford or international come up with a fix if this is happening alot? That's the question.
Because if they did they would loose money. The only thing that keeps them in bussiness is the sales of the cps. Being the rest of the engine is pretty much bullet proof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.