loud blowing noise? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to redneck_1086 Send a message via Yahoo to redneck_1086
loud blowing noise?

we just bought a '99 powerstroke yesterday (ran and sounded good). well today it still runs good but if you get it to about 1.5-2 on the tach. it makes a realy loud blowing noise and dad thinks it's bad, so my question is it bad.
once you let off the acc. and the tach gets under 1.5 it sounds like it had sucked something up and it down't do it. (It sounds like a jet taking off) I NEED HELP PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck_1086
we just bought a '99 powerstroke yesterday (ran and sounded good). well today it still runs good but if you get it to about 1.5-2 on the tach. it makes a realy loud blowing noise and dad thinks it's bad, so my question is it bad.
once you let off the acc. and the tach gets under 1.5 it sounds like it had sucked something up and it down't do it. (It sounds like a jet taking off) I NEED HELP PLEASE
the first thing to check is for an exhaust leak where the Y pipes meet. climb under the truck. both exhaust manifolds have a pipe that goes up off of them, they meet at the turbo at a connecting manifold. look over both sides of the trans to see them. the one on the drivers side is easy to see. the one of the passanger side is kind of tought to see due to the exhaust downpipe. if you see black residue on the pipes where they go into the larger piece....then i would suspect your noise is an exhaust leak. also, check and make sure your air filter is sealing properly and if its stock...that any of the three "tabs" on the fender side of the box are not broken...although ive never heard of that making a noise, a bad enough seal possibly could..

If you dont find an exhaust leak, let us know and we can help you see what else to check........Marc
Old 02-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck_1086
.... it makes a realy loud blowing noise
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
the first thing to check is for an exhaust leak where the Y pipes meet.

The second thing to check is whether or not Monica Lewinski is trapped under your hood.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HA HA HA
The blowing noise is not coming from the hood it is coming out just like smoke would come out (the exhaust pipe). I seams to do it more when under load and i feel a lack of power when it is blowing. Dad thinks that the waste gate is sticking open and i think it has something to do with the turbo but neither one of us are diesel mechanics or have ever owned a diesel, other than tractors. p.s. i took a quick look for exhaust leaks but didn't fine any thing obvious we also just had a glass pack put on (to pass inspection) and the muffler guy didn't say anything about cracks or leaks.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
does it always doit or just when its cold
Old 02-17-2006, 07:56 PM

its your exhaust back pressure valve closing to warm the engine. mine does it all the time so i just unplugged the connector on the bottom of the turbo base. it is a white plug with a small wire holding it on. unplug it and it will go away
Old 02-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

we havn't had the truck to long so it hasn't been real hot but so far it does it if it is warm or cold. The guy we bought it from said that it had a garrit turbo if that helps anybody. What irritates me is it never did it the night we got it, and then I drove it (I can tear up anything) and it started doing it so my dad is now blaming me
Old 02-18-2006, 04:31 PM

it doesn't hurt anything, your turbo pedistal is probably bad. its not cheap, i would just unplug the connector on the pedistal so the valve doesn't close. the exbv is a pain anyway. that is what i did with mine until it gets warm out and i will take the butterfly out of the exhaust completely.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:40 PM

look here for a pic. http://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.php...89708183nZMRoD
Old 02-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the pic. (it was unusual because i was just reading hangnut77's post while he was typing on mine) i'm not shure if i will unplug it or not, it's my dads truck and not mine. but we have an apt. at the ford dealer for some other small stuff so we will have them looke at it then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.