Clunking noise in front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clunking noise in front end

I keep on hearing a clunking noise in my front end when I turn sharp the ball joints are good and so are the wheel bearings shock bolts are also good and snug? Also when I apply my brakes I hear and feel a clunking noise it only does it when i apply the breakes after goin fast any ideas? it's gettin annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On the front leaf springs, under the rearward shackle, the second leaf contacts the upper leaf. There is a plastic pad between the two leafs that can wear thru. I would check it. A shot of WD40 works as a temporary fix.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM
I keep on hearing a clunking noise in my front end when I turn sharp the ball joints are good and so are the wheel bearings shock bolts are also good and snug? Also when I apply my brakes I hear and feel a clunking noise it only does it when i apply the breakes after goin fast any ideas? it's gettin annoying.
the clunking noise is more than likely one of two things......it is either a sway bar link....which is tough to diag...but if you take both of them off and feel how the ball is in the socket sometimes you can feel the looseness......or it is spring slap. ford has a insulator kit out for the springs that you just replace the plastic inserts....which is what the other guy in this post was talking about. be very carefull when doing this as if your prybar you are using slips, the second guy that you have removing the old insert and puting the new one in could be in need of a new finger ........look for the insert to be broken or missing...they are at the tips(2 on each spring) of the front springs between the leafs........

the clicking noise is probably not going to hurt anything. it is also one of two things. it more than likely is your caliper slide pins ( the things the bolts that hold the caliper go into) shifting ever so slightly.....there is actually a TSB on this.....if you chose to fix it....buy four slide pins...lube them with ford caliper slide grease....or the grease packets you can get at autozone....etc.....and then install them. you only need to remove the caliper to do this...the shackle bracket can be left on.

the other possibility is that your anti-rattle hardware that mounts on the shackle and is whhat the pad actually rides in is worn...but this is rare. ford pads come with new hardware....most aftermaket dont....although some do........if the brake pad is allowed to shift up or down where its mounted.....it can also cause this concern........Marc
Old 02-09-2006, 06:29 PM

I have lifted springs in my truck and they don't have the plastic pieces. It's been lifted for about 3 years and the noise just started. As for the brake caliper deal I will have to check into that I gotta replace the axle tube seals this weekend, but thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM
I have lifted springs in my truck and they don't have the plastic pieces. It's been lifted for about 3 years and the noise just started. As for the brake caliper deal I will have to check into that I gotta replace the axle tube seals this weekend, but thanks for the ideas.
just out of curiosity....have you ever replaced axle tube seals in those.....it is not an easy fix....the carrier has to come out of the front diff and there is a special tool to install the seals.......
Old 02-10-2006, 02:49 PM

Not in this truck but in my 95 I did. I guess I will just tear into it and see what I got myself into.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM
Not in this truck but in my 95 I did. I guess I will just tear into it and see what I got myself into.
if ya need any help...you know where to find me....
Old 02-10-2006, 03:39 PM

I am just curious as to why the whole carrier has to come out? Why can you not just pull the axles like in most 8.8 and 9 inch ford rear ends?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro99line
I am just curious as to why the whole carrier has to come out? Why can you not just pull the axles like in most 8.8 and 9 inch ford rear ends?
because superduty front diffs use a different set up. the axle tube seals are just outside the carrier and actually go in from the inside. the seals you see at the outside of the tube are just dust seals to prevend dust from getting to the inner grease seals. you also have to be carefull when knocking the old seal out. there is a plastic cone that guides the axled into the seal so the seal does not get knicked....if you damage the cone there is a greater likelyhoold the seal will be damaged when you put the axle in.........Marc
Old 02-10-2006, 04:45 PM

Ok. I was curious about these front ends since I did read something about them having different gears because of the backward rotation. Just trying to get as much knowledge as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.