weeping front diff at drivers knuckle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rammstein1224

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weeping front diff at drivers knuckle

1999 f350 4x4 dually 7.3lt. 316000km. At freeway speeds I can feel a slight knocking feeling thru the pedals. No steering wheel shudder and the wheels are normal temperature to the touch. Drives straight and true. Can also hear a slight rumble or wherring noise at times from the front end. I noticed some weeping from the front diff where it connects to the drivers front tire. It appears to be just before the universal joint/knuckle at the front drivers side assembly. It is definitely not brake fluid. I'm worried its bad news for the front diff ? I have not jacked up the truck to check wheel bearing stability yet. I expect the knocking and wherring noise is a wheel bearing but the weep from the drivers front knuckle is a bigger concern. I guess I might have to do both front inner seals and wheel bearings and.......... What am I in for??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
As for the noise that can be anything in the front, but as for the fluid your axle seals are toast, it requires taking off the knuckles and pulling the axle shaft out and replacing that seal. Honestly if your doing that you may as well replace all the normal wears (ball joints, diff fluid, grease/replace the spindle bearing etc.)
Heavy_GD likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rammstein1224 For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (07-31-2014), MeTruck (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's what I thought too. Each hub assembly is 650.00. All the associated front end hardware will cost cost cost. Then there is labor. I'm starting to weep too.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:43 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTruck View Post
That's what I thought too. Each hub assembly is 650.00. All the associated front end hardware will cost cost cost. Then there is labor. I'm starting to weep too.
Well you don't have to replace the hub assembly if its not bad theres a bearing on the backside that according to ford is unserviceable but yet somehow miraculously is serviceable and is only like 5 bucks

Search guzzle diesel and you will find the step by step on how to get to that bearing
Old 07-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:

Where are you finding your price? I just searched and found them for 195 each. They are the timken brand which is the same as oem.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbluke55 For This Useful Post:
MeTruck (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From Lordco for 1250.00 each but with my contact there they are 650.00 each. They are ABS 4x4 hubs and bearings. The inner seals are $50.00 each. Cant imagine the ball joint costs. Also reaching my hand in further to the hubs they are very hot. Nonetheless the inner seals must be done so I might as well do what I can to rebuild the front end. I'll be taking the bus for a while.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
From Lordco for 1250.00 each but with my contact there they are 650.00 each. They are ABS 4x4 hubs and bearings. The inner seals are $50.00 each. Cant imagine the ball joint costs. Also reaching my hand in further to the hubs they are very hot. Nonetheless the inner seals must be done so I might as well do what I can to rebuild the front end. I'll be taking the bus for a while.
Dude your getting jacked hard, ill bet if you found the right shop you could get your whole front end completely rebuilt tire to tire for around 2k including labor
Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Parts list.
Ball joints $300
Seals (inner, outer, and knuckle) $250
U joints $30
Wheel bearings $750
Fluid $30
Torque wrench $100
Total $1500.
That's doing all the work your self. And if you do a little searching you could cut a few hundred bucks.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 AM

You could just find the bad wheel bearing and change it now and keep an eye on the fluid tell you have all the parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.