Frontend Not Disengaged? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Frontend Not Disengaged?

I bought a 1997 Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke a few days ago and I'm wondering why my front driveshaft and axles do not turn freely in 2wd. The truck is equipped with the autolocking hubs, so no manual settings I guess? What's weird is when you pick the front of the truck up, you can roll the front wheels without turning the axle or driveshaft. But when I wen to the driveshaft to turn it, it was hardtop move to begin with, then wheni got it rolling it rolled the left wheel forward for a while, then the right engaged in reverse? Back and forth some more, and they both started forward. Then go to the wheels to turn them and its like they unlock off the axle (Btw, wheels feel like they're a little tough to turn, not sure if brakes or what).Is this the autolocking hubs sensing driveshaft movement? While on the ground, the front axle and driveshaft do not roll when in 2wd, but it also doesn't spin freely by hand like I believe it should. I'm wondering if it's in these hubs or somewhere else. I know nothing about it, therefore I'm not wanting to tear off into it. However, can someone give me a little advice? If the front end is locked together, am I tearing the truck up? The front tires are a little chopped up, so I have no clue how long it has been like this. Maybe its just the weight of the truck that made them that way? Please help me asap, I would appreciate it. Maybe someone has had this issue or a write up on this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

to verify a hub is unlocked reach in to the knuckle and try and turn the axle by the u joint ( each side ) if they don't turn and your in 4 high try and turn the selector from auto to locked 2 times landing back on manual and check the shaft again
Old 06-22-2014, 02:15 PM

if for some reason the hubs didn't engage you just adding a little more wear and tear to some front end components you are not tearing up your truck
Old 06-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has the auto hubs, not the manual hubs that you turn by hand. Is there a trick? It's sealed off
Old 06-22-2014, 02:42 PM

ahh

i might not be familiar with those you posted in the 99-03 section
the later auto hubs still had a manual selector

dud u check and see if they are actually locked ??
Old 06-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Whoops sorry I reposted, but I cannot turn the axles at the hub. Like I said the wheel will roll when you pick it up by itself, but the shaft will not when the truck is on all fours. Its odd to me
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you have both front tires off the ground, or just the one you turned?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

At first I did one at a time. Both free wheeling without axle movement. Then picked up both. Both we're still free wheeling. Then I started to turn the driveshaft(not easily) but it connected to the left and right wheel within a short period. Is this the automatic hubs working correctly? In 2wd the axle and driveshaft do not turn. But when in 4wd, it all connects in spins. What I was thinking was a problem was I have looked at several trucks with manual hubs and the driveshaft and front axles spin freely. What my guess is now is that when I go to hand turn the driveshaft on an automatic hub assembly with all 4 wheels on the ground, the driveshaft is engaging the hubs and that is why is doesn't spin free. Therefore I believe being paranoid over that was a waste because the way I have explained it to myself in my mind, it is working correctly. Am I correct? I've read everywhere it should spin free but I believe that is for manual hubs that do not auto lock with shaft
Movement. Please someone tell me I'm right. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.