No 4x4 after new transmission installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No 4x4 after new transmission installation

I have an 02' with approx. 118k miles and I had a new rebuilt transmission installed approx. 500 miles ago. I needed 4x4 the other day but the switch would turn, but nothing would happen. I typically would feel it engage but nothing. The lights on the dash aren't even coming on when trying to engage while engine running, in drive, in neutral. Nothing. My shop says it is not related to installation of new tranny and that I need a new $400.00 part(transfer switch). They said they took a switch out of their own Ford 4x4 with same switch and that didn't work. Transmission seems to be running fine.

I also seem to have a delay when switching from defrost to feet or other positions. Sometimes it would take a minute or longer before switching. Currently it seems to be operating fine when cycling through them. My parking brake light on dash is also not functioning.

Is it possible there is a vacuum leak causing 4x4 not to work instead of this $400.00 part?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any thoughts

Any help would be appreciated. Just want to make sure I'm spending money wisely.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the 4x4/4wd light on the gauge cluster light up when you turn the knob? If so, what happens if you manually lock your hubs? If it works when you manually lock them, then you have a vacuum leak. Fix the leak or put in a set of manual locking hubs.
The Following User Says Thank You to BryceB For This Useful Post:
garyhammerle (07-08-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Seems silly that they would tell you that you need a new switch when their confirmed good switch didn't work. You say you don't feel it engaging, have you tried swapping relays? There is one relay for engage, and another for disengage. If you're not hearing the motor engaging, and you're not hearing the relay clicking, I would suspect the relay. I had a problem once upon a time where my 4x4 wouldn't disengage. I was in 4-low, but thankfully only about a mile from the house. After testing the motor with a 9v battery, I realized it was a bad relay.

If you are hearing/feeling those things, follow Bryce's advice. Vacuum leaks are a common problem for these trucks. Heck, follow his advice first, it's quick and easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB View Post
Does the 4x4/4wd light on the gauge cluster light up when you turn the knob? If so, what happens if you manually lock your hubs? If it works when you manually lock them, then you have a vacuum leak. Fix the leak or put in a set of manual locking hubs.
I get no light on dash or switch when I put it in 4x4. I haven't tried manually locking the hubs yet. If I install maunual locking hubs I auume I wouldn't have to worry about switch on dash to do this for me? (I am OK with this) Recommendations on brand of hub lockers?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
Seems silly that they would tell you that you need a new switch when their confirmed good switch didn't work. You say you don't feel it engaging, have you tried swapping relays? There is one relay for engage, and another for disengage. If you're not hearing the motor engaging, and you're not hearing the relay clicking, I would suspect the relay. I had a problem once upon a time where my 4x4 wouldn't disengage. I was in 4-low, but thankfully only about a mile from the house. After testing the motor with a 9v battery, I realized it was a bad relay.

If you are hearing/feeling those things, follow Bryce's advice. Vacuum leaks are a common problem for these trucks. Heck, follow his advice first, it's quick and easy.
Where is the relays located at?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhammerle View Post
I get no light on dash or switch when I put it in 4x4. I haven't tried manually locking the hubs yet. If I install maunual locking hubs I auume I wouldn't have to worry about switch on dash to do this for me? (I am OK with this) Recommendations on brand of hub lockers?
If the lights not coming on, then follow Chris's (Macon) advice about the relay. No light means the transfer case isn't switched to 4wd. The switch will still control the transfer case even with manual hubs.

The vents slow to react sounds like a hub leak issue. If you end up like that and your factory hubs are in good working order, just use them manually, otherwise a set of Warn Premiums or Mile Markers make a good swap for the stockers,
The Following User Says Thank You to BryceB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Locking the hubs does just that, locks the hubs. It does nothing with the transfer case. In a perfect world our auto-hubs lock when we flip that switch to 4x4. In the world of rotted vacuum lines and internal seals, that switch becomes nothing more than an electronic stick for the t-case. Thankfully, Ford engineers planned in case of failure and gave us hubs that we could operate manually. Unlike the old chevy magnetic ones that would simply shatter, or the old Dodge ones that you would have to crawl under it and insert a bolt to lock the hubs, we have normal manual hubs.

If you're not getting the dash light, then the motor is not engaging the t-case. The light has nothing to do with the hubs. It only identifies what position the t-case is in. With leaking hubs, the t-case can be in 4x4, and you'll still be in 2x4, with a light telling you 4x4. I strongly suspect a bad relay. If new relays don't fix the problem, then either the dash switch is burnt, or the motor is bad. If new relays don't fix the issue, I suggest a 9v battery to test the motor. If the 9v moves the motor, but the switch doesn't, then the switch is bad. 9v batt won't engage the t-case, but the motor will move, signifying the motor is good.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhammerle View Post
Where is the relays located at?
Under the hood, driver's side, close to the firewall.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think Bryce hit it on the head. The vent system damper and auto hubs are the only loads on the vacuum system. The fact that the vents switch from defrost at all says your vacuum pump is working, but you may have a small leak that prevents the vacuum from getting high enough to lock out the hubs. I think it's something like 12 to engage and 6 to disengage.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.0 Phd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.