help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help!

01 ford F350 crew cab 4x4. I have have a vibration in my truck since I bought it 1.1/2 years ago and I still can not find it. It starts around 30mph and continues up to 60, some days you feel it in the seat/ your butt. Other days its in the steering wheel. I had my rear drive line rebuilt last year, new slip yoke and u joints and balanced. Still have a vibration. Last month I installed new ring and pinion and bearings in the rear end and still have a vibration. I checked the front hubs and they feel good.

Where do I go from here? Maybe the machine shop hear in kalispell MT did not balance the drive line good enough? Another question is what is a good way to check the spring bushings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Your tires balanced? My fathers GMC felt the same way when all the wheel weights came off for some reason. I'd start there
Old 06-06-2014, 09:19 PM

I have had them balanced twice with no change
Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

try mounting a gopro under the truck to point at the rear driveshaft while driving. you'll see it if it's out of balance that bad.

sometimes a slight engine miss can be mistaken for driveline vibration too. you'll feel it more in lower rpm's and will smooth out with higher rpm.

it could also be as simple as a bad shock. does it have stock tires and suspension on it? it could be a rear pinion angle issue which will cause the driveshaft to beat itself up.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 AM

Stock suspension, shocks are older, if I cost down a hill it still vibrates so I dont think its a engine miss. I will put a dial indicator on the dive shaft today. I do have alot of rear axle roll, so much that it makes a thump or thud every time I stop, and again when I take off. I just found where this was comming from last night, I think my u bolts are loose so I will try to tighten them today
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

cheap tires will cause what you are feeling because they cant balance them.

i have friend with a toyota t100 and the tires he got from les schwaub will not balance. and the ......... told him to get used to it we cant/wont fix it. one reason i will never go to les schwaub again.

the morons stacked about 4-5 weights on the rim to try and balance them.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 AM

tires

These are BFG A/T TKO tires. one thing I found is the vibration almost goes away with a little weight on. could I take the tires and after market rims off my dads 01 dodge and put them on my truck? will the fit for a short test drive?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry won't fit. I had bfg's on my truck and had a horrible time with them. Ended up buying a new rim because the tire shop said it was bad. Turn out the tire was bad from the get go. I hate them and will never buy a set again.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn.Tamer View Post
Stock suspension, shocks are older, if I cost down a hill it still vibrates so I dont think its a engine miss. I will put a dial indicator on the dive shaft today. I do have alot of rear axle roll, so much that it makes a thump or thud every time I stop, and again when I take off. I just found where this was comming from last night, I think my u bolts are loose so I will try to tighten them today
All of this and you say that the vibration goes away with some weight in the back. This points to a suspension issue. Check for cracked/broken leaf springs and replace the shocks. Make sure everything else is tight.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbluke55 View Post
Sorry won't fit. I had bfg's on my truck and had a horrible time with them. Ended up buying a new rim because the tire shop said it was bad. Turn out the tire was bad from the get go. I hate them and will never buy a set again.

I have a slight vibe on mine to. All other components are good. Its not really too bad, I suspect the crappy BFG tires that came with the truck. I'll deal with it until I get my new Toyo's and see if it goes away. Or maybe U-Joint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.