Napa hub assembly junk? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Napa hub assembly junk?

99.5 PSD ex cab 4x4

replaced inner and outer axle seal on both sides and hub assembly with napa brand one about 7k miles ago. this morning driving to work hit a pothole in I-state and i can feel wobbling going on down there. does it again as im about to pull up to work so when i check it, theres a ton of play on the side with the newer napa hub assembly(passenger side). when i installed it, it seemed like it had a bit too much play but now its pretty damn loose and the seals dont look too good either. what is supposed to hold the axle from moving here? the locking hub? or more so the axle seals?? i have stock locking hubs but ive been thinking of upgrading soon. i really dont want to invest in some $270 new locking hubs with a loose fit and tear them apart. any input would be appreciated guys!

Last edited by tgarrisoniv; 05-30-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

BTW truck is NOT on 40x22s anymore. its on 35x18s so no hub assem should wear that fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Napa hub assembly junk?-7.3.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you lost me a little because you use the term HUB so many times
but I think yous asking about the "unit bearing" quality of a Napa unit ? and that being the first year for the unit bearing I believe ?

if so

NAPA sells more than one brand I think ? Timken is the OEM and many like to stay with those but 7k isn't very good even for a cheap china brand however I am not shocked

if you felt it being loose when new you should have returned it they should feel tight

any warranty recourse ?

the axle question
is the needle bearing holds the axle it is inside the unit bearing and replaceable by itself

Last edited by ZMANN; 05-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry about that. lets clarify:
locking hub- the outer manual locking gear that engaged axle shafts into lock or unlock position.
hub assembly- the assembly that the locking hub sits in that is the bearing used for rotation, bolted to the axle with 4 bolts.

yes it is still under warranty and i probably should have just went ahead and got a new one. im going to do that but i think it was so loose it has also ruined the seals (which i bought at the same time, they may still be under warranty too.)

i was wondering if the hub assembly is actually supposed to support the axle shaft. or is that the job of the seals mainly? ive done this job a few times and while i like to save money, im more than willing to purchase a quality set of locking hubs. i dont want to purchase them and have them ruined by a bad assembly (unit bearing) though! ive heard many times of people purchasing them and then blowing them out constantly... what is the issue there?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

while it's not unheard if to refer to the unit bearing as a " hub"
lets just call it a unit bearing moving forward and save the term Hub for the locking hub

the axle does not count on the seals to hold it in place

it is supported inside the dif / the u joints hold it and the inner needle bearing inside the unit bearing

you could remove the hub all together and drive with no issues

I know what the inner seal your referring to is but the outer I am not so sure ?

but i would return the unit bearing and see if they have brand options
if it's an ABS unit a lot of use pre lube them through the sensor port and get the needle bearing coated also

then get you new locking hubs , playing it safe, I agree with that even though wiping out a locking hub with a bad unit bearing isn't common

Last edited by ZMANN; 05-30-2014 at 08:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZMANN For This Useful Post:
tgarrisoniv (06-02-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Huh huh...you said "unit"

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.