Vibration while in 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration while in 4x4

Hi, I have a 99 F350 7.3 with about 310k on the motor. The transmission was rebuilt, with HD parts, about 70k ago. About a month ago, I put new ujoints and hubs in the front end.

Now the problem -- at seemingly random times I was getting a loud squeal in the front drivers side while driving at 40+ mph. Everything would seem fine, and then the squeal would start. I could feel it in the floor boards. The only way I could get it to stop, was the flip it over into 4-high and it would go away instantly. But could come back a few minutes later.

I took it to Ford and they said it was the torington bearing in the front end, so I had them replace it. Well, probably the 10th time I drove the truck after the bearing was replaced (it's not a daily driver), the noise started again, only not as loud. Instead of a high-pitch squeal, now it's a lower growl ... I cant pin down where it's coming from this time, but seems to be the same sport (front driver area).

Now I also get this growl sound when I flip into 4-high at 40+ mph. It feels almost like driving on a rumble strip.

Other than the noises, everything (trans, 4x4, etc) seems to work fine, but something is obviously wrong. Could it be the transfer case? Or maybe the front end?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.