Terrible bouncing/vibration at ALL speeds in 2wd and 4wd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Terrible bouncing/vibration at ALL speeds in 2wd and 4wd

1999 F-350 DRW Crew Cab Long bed. 4" lift on 37's.
- New tranny, new ball joints, new hubs.

Truck worked fine in 2wd, put it in 4wd for the first time and it jumps all over the place. Literally the entire truck, even at 5 mph each corner of the truck is hoping/vibrating at least 2 - 3 inches.

Changed it back to 2wd and it still does the same thing!

Causation:
I crawled under the truck and the Carrier Bearing moves a good inch in each direction, but would that cause the truck to jump around even at idle speed? It does have the drop bracket to compensate for the lift. I read where people feel their carrier bearing going out at 50 mph...I can't go 10mph without feeling like I'm hurting the truck.

Also, I think my axle u-joints are gone because its "catching" my wheel and pulling my steering from side to side.

Last theory is that is it possible that the rear end blew up for some reason? It drove completely fine in 2wd, I parked it and it snowed like hell that night, put it in 4wd and it started doing what I described.

Overall I feel something is "catching" and causing the truck to stutter and bounce. I literally can't drive the truck because it's so bad.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Terrible bouncing/vibration at ALL speeds in 2wd and 4wd-truck.jpg  

Last edited by ksumark; 01-29-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Add picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM

Could be a lot of things. If it were mine I'd check your spacers. I run spacers too, and if they get a little loose things start feeling really nasty. Just my $.02. Could be your u-joints in the front end. If your four wheel drive doesn't kick out, or your hubs aren't releasing, it would feel like that too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Banned

if you took it to a shop to have them look at it, the first thing they would do is put the truck up on a hoist and drive it on the hoist to look for the problem.

get yourself 4 good jack stands and put it in drive with the engine running to see if you can see something moving around or hear noises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.