clunking noises when turning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
clunking noises when turning

Cant seem to find the answer to this yet I've been looking since noon... anyway while in 4wd with the hubs locked and I'm moving forward and turning a corner there is some kind of clunking/chunking/grinding noise coming from the front end. (It doesn't make any noise while driving straight except I noticed unusual vibrations around 50-60 mph this morning). I've checked for play in the u-joint and yoke going into the front diff and there is minimal play, hardly noticeable. I've called a friend with similar issues and he saying the yoke and or u-joint could be shot??? And its like 10* F outside right now so I'm not going outside to jack it up and check the wheel bearings. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

2000 F250 7.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I assuming your driving on snow covered roads and your not running in 4x4 on clean pavement causing your axels to bind in the corners. Check the u joints at the wheels.I had a f-150 with 119k miles do the same thing when in 4x4 rounding corners the steering wheel would shake and the front end would clunk,chatter and squeal.Both of the ujoints where bad at both front wheels.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

my money is on axle shaft u-joints. once they get to a point of snapping and popping they won't last much longer. if you wait until it's too late, you'll be shopping for axle shafts too.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep snow/ice. Sounds good guys thanks for the info. I'm assuming it'll be fine to drive around in 2wd for the time being? Just getting a visual at the u joints they don't "look" bad and there's I would say about a .25" of play in the u joint at the wheels not sure if that ok/horrible. Also how much of a pain in the a$$ is it going to be to replace those?

On a side note it's an auto trans and it's a pain to get it to go into park ... what's up with that?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

u-joints don't have to be loose to be considered bad. a lot of times they're still tight but on the verge of seizing up.

your park shifter problem might associated with snow/ice built up around the linkage on the tranny
Old 01-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

check to see if the two allen head screws are loose, causing play in the shifter.
there is a collar that also wears out that can cause this
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper2 View Post
Yep snow/ice. Sounds good guys thanks for the info. I'm assuming it'll be fine to drive around in 2wd for the time being? Just getting a visual at the u joints they don't "look" bad and there's I would say about a .25" of play in the u joint at the wheels not sure if that ok/horrible. Also how much of a pain in the a$$ is it going to be to replace those?

On a side note it's an auto trans and it's a pain to get it to go into park ... what's up with that?
If there's .25" of play in the u-joint the needle bearings are gone get that ujoint changed asap or you will be changing a axel shaft soon.
As far as shifting into park if your shifter has play in it there is a clamp on the steering collumn that holds the shifter cable that came loose on my truck.You have to open the fuse panel under the steering wheel to access it.there are 2 bolts that clamp the cable down that are a little bit of a pain to get to make sure you tighten them both down.

Last edited by tman; 01-06-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a lot you guys are awesome. So parts list as follows: two u joints, two inner axle seals, and I'm guessing I may as well put some Warn hubs on as well?

Is driving in 2wd going to be an issue? At least until it thaws a bit my garage isn't tall enough to accommodate my pick up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.