My first post. Need help with my '99 4x4. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My first post. Need help with my '99 4x4.

I hope I'm in the right spot for help. I need to find out if this '99 has made me crazy or if I'm not the only one. I recently purchased a '99 F250 7.3 4x4 6-speed manual. Keyword here "4x4". I have manual locking hubs on the front but I do not have a floor shifter, a dial to shift to four wheel drive "on the fly", or any light to indicate that I'm in 4x4. Did Ford make such a truck or did someone just put a front axle in and put factory 4x4 stickers on the truck and I'm a sucker? I tried locking the hubs today and they did not engage. I've heard of vacuum activated transfer cases but these are manual, as far as I can see. I'm not terribly new to diesels or four wheel drives but this one has me scratching my head. I've looked online and found the owners manual and that didn't help. My dad is a retired mechanic and could figure it out but he lives out of town and I want to handle this one on my own without the old man. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Well that is very odd. I guess you didn't make sure the 4X4 worked properly before you bought the truck. Any pics of the truck and interior you could share?

By the way, welcome to the ORG! I will move this thread to a different section that might get more attention for you.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

It has no dial shifter either? But it's got a transfer case and a driveshaft going to the front axle?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

when you turn the key to the on position all of the lights should light up on the cluster including 4x4 and 4x4 low as a self test. Check to make sure they are lighting up first as you could just have the bulbs out. Does it even have a transfer case ???
Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To try and answer the questions above.
1. It DOES have a front driveshaft going into the transfer case.
2. No, I did not check to see if the 4x4 worked when I bought it, which was the only thing I didn't check. I did take the guys word for it because I got it for a good price and assumed it wasn't perfect.
3. Indeed, no floor shifter and no dial to turn to "4Hi, 4Lo, 2H".

My first thought was as someone stated above, maybe fuses are blown that aren't showing "4x4" when I turn the key on BUT what puzzles me is that there's absolutely nothing on my dash that could be used to turn the 4wd to "2hi, 4lo, 4H" unless it's just "4x4". This is a first for me and I thought this was just something Ford tried for a short period because I can't find anything yet. I'm going from an easy to work on 92' IDI 7.3 to this computerized maze they call a powerstroke.
I'll have to post pics tomorrow for those that asked. Does anyone else have a '99 4x4?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

As mentioned, look under the truck to see if it has a drive shaft to the front. If so, and no floor shifter then the shift on the fly switch should be on the dash between your gauge cluster and the radio.
Good luck

Well your post above doesn't sound good,, does your dash have a blank panel where the switch belongs?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=10230&.jpg=

Last edited by RPM Tim; 12-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

So it's got a T case and what not. No shifter of any kind.... Something's gotta give lol.... Get the VIN and run it by the dealership and they will tell you if it started life as a 2wd or not.... Still got the previous owner's number? Give him a call and see what's up with the mystery machine if you do
Old 12-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM Tim View Post
As mentioned, look under the truck to see if it has a drive shaft to the front. If so, and no floor shifter then the shift on the fly switch should be on the dash between your gauge cluster and the radio.
Good luck

Well your post above doesn't sound good,, does your dash have a blank panel where the switch belongs?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=10230&.jpg=
When you told me that the switch should be on the dash between my cluster and the radio it hit me. The dial must have been knocked off because there is a round black plastic (what I thought was one of those cell phone holders glued to the dash) mount in the location. I say that because there are holes drilled in the dash in that area so I thought it was some kind of mount. It very well could be the back of the switch that was broken off. I hope that's the case because I feel like an idiot right now considering I joined the forum to ask this question. The indicator lights on my cluster not working were throwing me off even more.
So let's hold off in solving this puzzle until I can get underneath that dash to indeed make sure that's the switch mount on my dash. I promise I'll ask a better question next time.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usteffenhagen View Post
So it's got a T case and what not. No shifter of any kind.... Something's gotta give lol.... Get the VIN and run it by the dealership and they will tell you if it started life as a 2wd or not.... Still got the previous owner's number? Give him a call and see what's up with the mystery machine if you do
lol, I agree that something's got to give. I kept telling myself "it's got to have one or the other". I just don't like my Ford dealership here in Athens, AL because they have not done good work for me in the past and I don't want to carry it there. I think I've got it figured out if you'll see my reply above.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

no worries man we all have our moments trust me. I've had PLENTY of them. Just get a new switch, throw it in and enjoy the new rig!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.