Thumping noise under driver side floor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 07:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumping noise under driver side floor

I've had this problem for months and I can't seem to find out what the problem is. Whenever the truck (2002 F350 srw) is just rolling while not on the gas pedal I get a repeated thumping noise that feels like it's hitting up on the driver side floor from underneath the truck. I also get the same feeling but more intense when Stepping on the brakes or even going over small bumps. I originally thought the front rotors were warped because when the problem first came up it happened when braking, but now like I said it also happens when the truck is just rolling slowly or going over bumps. I've checked the leaf spring bushings, sway bar bushings, ball joints, shock bushings, axle u-joint, and every other area where people say caused them the same problem. The only thing I could think of is the shock itself is worn out but I dont want to start doing anything until I know what really needs to be replaced. If anyone knows of anything else to check or has had this problem please let me know. Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM

UPDATE: just checked it over again with my auto class in school and we found that a plastic ring around the seal on the hub side of the axle u joint came off the seal and is kind of just hanging there... Not really sure if this has any part in making the vibration on the floor and if it needs to be replaced. If anyone has any insight let me know thanks
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem, and it went on for about 8 months. It turned out to be the wheel bearing hub assembly. I jacked it up several times checking it and it seemed fine, but when I finally broke down and changed it the noise went away.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Rock your truck and see if you can hear it. Best bet is the end link bushing going out
Old 12-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzarlenga View Post
UPDATE: just checked it over again with my auto class in school and we found that a plastic ring around the seal on the hub side of the axle u joint came off the seal and is kind of just hanging there... Not really sure if this has any part in making the vibration on the floor and if it needs to be replaced. If anyone has any insight let me know thanks
Thats just the dust seal and they never stay in. Most likely it is the hub assy. I am currently changing mine due to vibration on the passenger side. I was able to move the tire up and down a little where as I couldn't do it on the passenger side. The funny thing is I was able to replicate the movement right before I pulled everything apart but once I got to the knuckle seal I noticed it had separated which was obviously causing the hubs not to lock too. Once I took the rotor out and started to turn the hub by hand I could feel that rotation was not smooth which would explain all of the racket. I hope this helps.

JC
Old 12-14-2013, 02:32 PM

One more thing, if anyone replaces the hub assy. and they are turning the steering wheel when the truck is not started in order to get to everything, it is possible that you can force psf out of the reservoir. I did this today while working on it and thought that I had an actual leak and upon doing some research it looks like this happens to a lot of people.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If its a knocking noise at the floor boards it's most likely the swaybar links. Mine was doing the same thing and when I finally replaced them the noise was gone! I used the Dorman brand they were like $30ea and were identical to the OEM. The Motorcraft were like $75ea!

If you look closely at them you will see the rubber bushings ate up by the steel knuckle.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50dan View Post
If its a knocking noise at the floor boards it's most likely the swaybar links. Mine was doing the same thing and when I finally replaced them the noise was gone! I used the Dorman brand they were like $30ea and were identical to the OEM. The Motorcraft were like $75ea!

If you look closely at them you will see the rubber bushings ate up by the steel knuckle.
Mine are like that. I haven't had the knocking yet. Now that I think about it, I replaced a sway bar link in my wife's Focus a while back and it was making a knocking sound before I replaced it. You are probably right. He could unhook the sway bar links and see if the sound goes away.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Hey guys thanks for the responses. My sway bar bushings are good... The sway bars have no play in them when i try move them around with my hand. I think the problem is excessive play in the cv shaft on the passenger side. My auto shop teacher at school said that its not the actual shaft that is bad but theres a bearing on the shaft and that's what the problem is... Is that part referred to as the needle bearing? If not does anybody know the name of the bearing?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzarlenga View Post
Hey guys thanks for the responses. My sway bar bushings are good... The sway bars have no play in them when i try move them around with my hand. I think the problem is excessive play in the cv shaft on the passenger side. My auto shop teacher at school said that its not the actual shaft that is bad but theres a bearing on the shaft and that's what the problem is... Is that part referred to as the needle bearing? If not does anybody know the name of the bearing?
I don't think that is the problem since that joint is only a player when the hubs are locked and transfer case is in 4wd. The other thing it might be is the bushings in the leaf spring and/or shackle. Since you are feeling it when you all of a sudden load the front end with the breaks or a bump. Google bad front leaf spring/shackle bushing symptoms and see what you come up with. I know when the bushings are going bad on the rear suspension components the will make thumping noises when going from coasting to getting on the gas, when applying the breaks and going over bumps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.