front hub removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Power Strokeaholic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question front hub removal

does anyone have or know a link to a site or online manual? i need to put new seals in both hubs and the manuals i have only have instructions for hubs with three screws, manual lock and auto lock. mines automatic (esof) and my manual says they have three screws. nope, sorry, they dont. so any any help would be great. after last week's snow and ice i figured id better get this fixed before i go play again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Should be a snap ring at the base of the hub. Oughta slide right out when you get that out of it.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Power Strokeaholic

i saw that but wasnt sure if thats all there is to it or not. i gota replace the seals because theres a leak in the vacum part from what the vac. gauge is tellin me. it wont hold any vacum at all. im figurein thats why i got no four wheel drive.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if you still have the stock lock-outs there is a snap ring at the base of the lock-out. after you have removed the ring you may have to take a rubber mallet or the wooden handle of a hammer( something softer then steel) and tap on the lockout , top and bottom , left and right, do this with light to medium force. once it is free pull it out carefully because you will have some springs in there that may want to shoot some gears at ya. if you have after market lock-outs there are 6-8 hex head bolts to remove. it may be advisable to clean all the gears and re grease EVERYTHING in the lock-out assembly
Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
ford put out a tsb on the hubs. when you take them apart cut 3 notches on the plastic washer where the bearing goes into the washer. i just did mine and works great now. make 3 notches 1/8 inch deep.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Power Strokeaholic

how hard would it be to convert to manual hub? i guessin just putem in like you would the autos . just plug the vacum lines. you think as long as there locked all i would have to do is turn the knob as usaual? that would give me 2w hi and lo just unlock the hubs, plus 4w hi and lo.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
The TSB calls for cutting 4 notches 1/8-1/4" deep at 90 degree intervals, where the slots are on the back side. Also remove any excess grease from the cavity and the washer, the addition of the notches and removal of the grease will allow vacuum to pass unrestricted through the knuckle and hub to the hub lock. It looks like to convert to manual hubs, you'd have to change the spindle nut. (Thats from the Warn website) No big deal.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i replaced the lock-outs on my 99 250 4x4 with manual warn hubs, from orielys i didny have ti change any nut and with manual hubs i put a cap on the vacum lines and every thing works fine
Old 12-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Sounds like a fun job to tackle. I hope it hasn't snowed lately around your crib! It's a pain in the butt tryin to get all that weight moving without the extra help of the two front wheels turnin!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Power Strokeaholic

its worse tryin to keep the @$$ end behind me than getin it goin. wants to try and come around a lot. but i'm thinkin bout putin some rubbermaid trash cans in the back full of water. letin em freeze and then layem down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.