rumble strip sound/needle bearings ect.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rumble strip sound/needle bearings ect..

ive got that rumble strip sound on my passenger side. its a 2000 f250, 4x4, warn hubs. the back clip in the hubs seems to be popping off everytime i get the noise, ive swapped sides with the hubs and the passenger side back clip is the one that keeps popping off and the noise returns. the wheel bearing assembly is fairly new like 4 months and the needle bearings look like they are ok to me. my question is; does the stub axle shaft supose to have a small intent in it where the needle bearings should ride? i can feel a very slight indent there with my fingers and thought it would be better to ask than take apart the other side to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

locking the hubs and driving around some, i dont notice the noise and the clip inside the right side hub didnt pop out so im thinking it is some problem there with the needle bearings. on a side note... if the u joint on that side is going out, could it cause the stub axle to have too much play and cause the hub to bind and pop that clip? the reason i ask that is because the only way i can slide the guts of the warn hub back in is to put a big screwdriver under the ujoint and pry it up so the stub axle moves up and the hub slides on. that seems like too much movement to me. its late and im too lazy to work on it anymore, if anyone has suggestions to speed up the fix id appreciate it

Last edited by shiftychops; 07-11-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It Always seems like Too Much movement to me, but it's really OK to be there in most cases (U-Joints bind, don't cause slop like that)

Next, you're having noise from those needle brgs. That's the test! It makes noise when unlocked because the stub axle is spinning on those bearings. Locked, the stub axle is turning with the hub, the needles aren't doing anything...

So, make sure you have the washers in right. That clip shouldn't be able to pop-off. Maybe you have a problem with the stub axle? How bad was it scored where the needles ride? Have a look here-> Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Old 07-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well i put new bearings in and it cleared up the sound. i am going to take the otherside apart and look at the stub shaft for a comparison but i think it may be ok. the needle bearings looked just fine to me, i was overthinking it, should have just changed them from the start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.