Rear Diff Seal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rear Diff Seal

I am replacing the rear diff seal on my 02 F250 SRW. I been reading and it seems there isn't a torque spec but a preload spec. What is the preload spec, I haven't found anything other that just that. Should I just match the location of where the nut is now or what?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillafreak View Post
I am replacing the rear diff seal on my 02 F250 SRW. I been reading and it seems there isn't a torque spec but a preload spec. What is the preload spec, I haven't found anything other that just that. Should I just match the location of where the nut is now or what?

Thanks.
Which seal, there are 3 in there. Are u talking about pinion seal?? Or the axle shaft seals on the inside beside the differential bearings.

Pinion torque for the crush sleeve is supposed to end up close to 466ft/lbs. I think the true number you want is 15in/lbs of resistance. Use needle type torque wrench, not a clicker style.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
there is no inner seal near the diff on a full floater

the pinion seal has a cheat and it is counting threads and marking the nut and shaft carefully even a little blue loctite might be a good idea after you get it back exactly where it was

it's not the proper way but for DIY guys it's really the only choice unless your have a well equipped shop IMHO
Old 06-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
there is no inner seal near the diff on a full floater
Rear Diff Seal-1371937183948.jpg

There are three seals. One at the pinion one on each axle inside the diff. Notice the pic from Yukon. 4 bearings, 3 seals, crush sleeve, shims for the rebuild kit.
The one other seal is kinda hidden by their logo.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-22-2013, 06:41 PM

I am doing the seal for the driveshaft.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

I think your confused. The drive shaft is the long tube from the trans to the axle. If your talking about where the drive shaft meets the axle, that's the pinion. Setting preload is important but you can't do it correctly with everything together, however it's not always realistic to remove the carrier. What I would do is pull the shafts out so you have minimal load and check the current preload. You would do that by using a dial torque wrench on the pinion nut and spinning it. Look for where the needle settles as you are turning it. After you install the new seal, tighten the nut down till you match the existing preload.

As for the inner seal against the bearing, ZMANN is correct. It's only used on the front D60 axle. The rear Sterling does not use that style seal.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
it's also good to verify that your vent tube is clear all the way to the axle and that it is not obstructed / bent/clogged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.