Brand New Hub Failure? Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brand New Hub Failure? Why?

Just purchased a 2000 f250 ccsb 7.3 automatic 4x4 manual shifted t-case and hubs with 156k. Previous owner said the drivers hub gave out 2 days before I bought the truck and he had it towed home. He replaced the hub. I bought the truck and have put about 200 miles on since I got it. So I would presume about 300 on the hub. He stated the axle ujoint was locked on one axis. Also the 4 wheel drive wasn't working. I just tore into it. I purchased a new u joint and mile marker locking hubs. Upon taking it apart (I now know I will need seals since destroying them pulling the axle shaft) I noticed all the needle bearings in the inner bearing on the new hub fell out. The ujoint really wasn't that bad. So what did this guy do wrong to destroy these brand new bearings? I will be replacing just the inner bearings, part number b2110.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Old 06-10-2013, 03:26 PM

that bearing may have been dry ?
also I don't think it should wear at all unless the axle shaft is turning full speed not the parasitic slow speed they can

I am willing to bet the PO didn't replace with a timken and may have done something else all together and the needle was wasted from the get go ?

anyway see the part # in the thread and dbl check that it is the same as your 2000

I would give more detail but Mine ( 06) uses a sealed bearing instead of the needle style
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

He had replaced the entire hub assembly. That would include the bearings. They were dry, but when they fell out, they didn't look melted. Also my hubs are different since they are manual and not vacuum operated. I.e. I don't have nut and washer on the axle shaft itself, just a snap ring.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 PM

I was told that if you mess with hubs, (lock them) before you install them, it will ruin them. Maybe that's what he did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The axle shaft rides on a set of bearings in the pumpkin and a then rides on the bearings in the hub assembly. There are 2 sets of bearings in the hub assembly. (Remember the hub assembly is different than the lock outs). One set of bearings are non serviceable, are larger and ride inside the hub assembly. The smaller set are pressed into the outside of the hub assembly and are part number b2110. The b2110s are what failed in 300 miles. If one axis of the ujoint was bad it could cause it to fail, but they really weren't frozen. The idea of them being dry is very plausible. I know I am over thinking all of this, but I just hate to put it together again and it fail. Time and money is scarce to come by these days.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-D View Post
The idea of them being dry is very plausible. I know I am over thinking all of this, but I just hate to put it together again and it fail. Time and money is scarce to come by these days.
even with a dry bearing it would need to have the 4x4 hubs engaged

to spin the shaft and wear the bearings or be in 4 hi

and even then 200 miles ??

I am thinking He screwed something up or didn't use a new unit ?

anyway if u do he u joint and replace just the needle bearing along with some lube ( ps if it's got ABS u can lube the unit bearing also )

and verify the knuckle seal is good there is no reason this
will fail prematurely again IMHO as for the unit bearing it may not be OEM quality so IDK how that will hold up
Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there supposed to be fluid inside the steering knuckle between the large seal that goes on the stub axle and the hub assembly? Just seams like a large expensive seal and large void inside the knuckle to be empty.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got her back together and working. It was missing the thrust washer behind the hub assembly and the 3 thrust washers inside the hub assembly behind the spring clip. The ujoint and axle seal and knuckle seal were bad too. The needle bearings also had to be replaced. Everything needed greased. The locking hub was literally empty. All the internals were missing. Replaced all that with mile marker locking hubs. Previous owner was a hack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.