Vibration in drivetrain - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 06:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Vibration in drivetrain

Ok here is a stumper. I have a 2000 F250 CC SB 4x4. Sometimes when I hit a bump I get a grinding noise with a vibration. It seems like its coming from the transfercase. When I hit another bump or dip in the road is will stop. If I come to a stop it will go away. Or if I put the T-case in 4x4 is goes away. Local mechanic thought it may be carrier bearings and U-joints. The truck had 71k so I replaced them, figured they were due. Still the noise is there. It has to be the T-case. Also had the wheel bearings checked just to rule them out. I really belive its something in the T-case but Im not ASE certified so what do I know. Anyone have a problem like this in their SD? Or any T-case problems? I dont want to spend more money on something that isnt broken and T-cases cant be cheap to rebuild.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 08:25 PM

There is a bearing in the spindels on the front axle that the axle sets in. If it's bad it can do what yours is doing.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM

A mechanic found just that. The bearing is shot. He also said the drivers side hub assembly is rough. Recomend replacing both sides. With only 71k and at a cost of $1000 that seems like alot. What have you guys found with the the front wheel beaings? How often have you seen them last? I have bone stock set up. Kinda frusterating that they got ya by the balls
Old 12-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I once read in an offroad magazine that the 99 up super dutys were notorious for wheel bearing failures in their early lives so it's not a surprise to me!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:10 PM

Water is what I have seen that takes them out. It gets past the seal and rusts them out. Not knowing what you use your truck for or how or how it was used if you got used, it's hard to what the cause is. Poor disign by the axle maker because I have seen this same problem on GM and Dodge, too. Plus you have to pull the spindel to get at the bearing. Thats not a mantanice thing, you would think.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 AM

If a guy could come up with an affodable way to replace the design he could make a ton of money. I know there is a "convertion" but at 3k thats way to much. For the price you would think you could swap a front axle from an older F250/350. They dont have the same bearing design. Any one here replaced the hub units yet? How many miles did you get? Mine made it a whole 71k. I was told the average was around 100k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.