2001 f350 front axle seals diagram? need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2001 f350 front axle seals diagram? need help

I am replacing my axle ujoint on the right side and then moving to the left side. the axle seal that is in the steering knuckle appears to be in ok shape, and the i assume another seal, that goes on the axle where it goes into the tube, its shot. does anyone know what seal is what or anyone have a diagram? i am trying to figure out which seal to replae and which ones i can get by with. btw, got manual lockout hubs now so dont have to worry about vaccum. any help would be good. my ball joints and wheel bearing seem to be good for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There are 2 seals on each axle shaft.....the outer one is the vacuum seal for vacuum hubs, the inner seal is just a dust seal. There is 2 more seals located inside the the differential part of the front axle that keep the diff fluid from leaking out. these ones can only be replaced by removing the differential/ring gear assembly. If you are just replacing u-joints and you are using manual hubs i would just reuse the vacuum seals on the end of the axle. Hope that helps
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok thanks i kinda figured it out but stil was confused, i may replace or install something to fix the dust seal, axle is rusted some for going to clean it up before reinstalling. i think my inner seals are good.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if your inner axle seals were leaking oil would drip out the end of the axle tube assuming the diff had the proper fill

the dust seal keeps rocks out of the tube LOL

the later trucks they came out with an updated seal that abandons the axle shaft mounted seal and now it locates into the axle tube and actually works as it's supposed to

paint the axle shaft after you clean it except the end with the splines

your knuckle seal isn't very critical due to manual hubs
Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ya for now i just put everything back together, didnt install new dust seal, calling for lots of rain so that will be a project for another day. however, i got an 05 and just noticed today a binding sound when i turn the wheel full lock to the left and now noticed some oil that appears to be coming out of the axle tube. so got to investagte that. is there any special tools that are needed to replace the inter axle seal in the axle tube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.