Vibration under load? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration under load?

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me pinpoint this issue. I have a vibration ~60-80mph and it only occurs under load (acceleration/holding speed). Once I let off the throttle, it goes away completely.

It feels as though it's coming from the center of the truck - not from the front end, or rear, and not tires/wheel balance.

A couple weeks ago, after not driving it for a couple weeks, the vibration started earlier (~45-50mph) and was the worst it had been. After driving for a bit, it seemed to lessen and it's now happening only at the higher speed again (65-80) but, is a bit more noticeable than before.

Considering it only occurs under load, I'm thinking driveshaft issue....

anyone?

thanks!
-dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does it have a carrier bearing? If not, sounds like u joints are starting to go. Also have it rebalanced of you put in new u joints. Also check to see if your driveshaft is "in phase". Google it and you will see what I mean.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Premium Member

thanks - carrier bearing, all u-joints are less than two years old. During that repair, the driveshaft was balanced but, they said they couldn't get it perfect. I'm assuming that is now playing out.

I'll check out the 'in phase' thing as I'm considering replacing the main shaft (long one) myself. I can bring it to get balanced but, I would do the install....I'm wondering how you'd get a 'new' driveshaft 'in-phase as you can't mark it before removal.

appreciated!
-d
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Was their balance machine able to balance the whole assembly together?

You don't necessarily have to mark a drive shaft when you remove it from the truck. It would take a bit to try to completely explain on here.
But anyways, to keep a drive shaft in phase you just have to make sure the yokes are (stay)parallel. When people get them out of phase is when they pull the drive shaft apart at the slip joint and don't line the splines back up upon reassembly so the yokes end up not parallel. Sometimes they may be off a tooth or two. This is important for drive shafts that have the slip joint between the u joints.
Now on a shorter drive shaft where it is only one piece, that's where you don't have to mark it when taking it out of the vehicle.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Thanks hucory!

Good info. I may take it out and bring it over the shop for re-balancing. I won't worry about marking it unless I take the slip-joint apart....then I'll just mark it at the slip-joint.

I'd assume that if I needed a new complete drive shaft, the new one would be assembled in phase.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Just make sure they are able to balance it as a whole assembly, if not, it's kind of pointless. Most shops can only balance one piece at a time because their machine isn't big enough.

FWIW, I see you have a short bed, so you can go with a drive shaft without a carrier bearing to lessen the vibrations.

Last edited by hucorey; 04-29-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Just make sure they are able to balance it as a whole assembly, if not, it's kind of pointless. Most shops can only balance one piece at a time because their machine isn't big enough.

FWIW, I see you have a short bed, so you can go with a drive shaft without a carrier bearing to lessen the vibrations.

Will do!

Your second statement intrigues me....I can really lose the carrier bearing?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyburt View Post
Will do!

Your second statement intrigues me....I can really lose the carrier bearing?
Yes. I was going to go to a one piece but my CCLB was just a few inches too long. They guy said I still could but I would have to go with bigger tires and possibly a 3:55 gear to keep RPM's down

Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

See hulkamania's post on one piece driveshaft.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.