4x4 won't disengage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 won't disengage

So there I was, bored on a Thursday morning. I decided since I'm bored and already in my truck, I should go play. Didn't really do much as I was a lone truck, but I played just a little. You just gotta exercise that 4x4 system on occasion. I went ahead and played around in 4 hi for a bit, then I decided to go into 4 low just for grins. Okay, bored again. Time to get to the house so I can clean up and all that happiness.

Flip the switch to 2wd, just as I've done many times before. Nothing. Ugh, okay, back up, throw it back in neutral, and....nothing. Okay, 4hi. Nope. Forwards, backwards, flexed it out in a ditch, nope. She decided she doesn't want to play nice. Okay, that's cool, home is just down the street. 15mph trip....yay... In the driveway, what's going on? Yep, switch is switching, but no motor noises. Are the fuses fusing? Sure are, nothing blown. I got up underneath it and did a little tapping around with a hammer in case something was bound up. Nope.

Removed the motor cable, looked good and clean, replaced and tried again. Nadda. Now I'm just getting annoyed. Did the motor fry? Let's get a 9V battery and try it out. Soldered on a couple leads and tested on the motor. Works great. Well dang nabbit. WTF is going on? Let's go forward and backwards a few times, see what we can make happen.

Not a dang thing, that's what. Friggen miserable POS electric switch on the fly $#%@#%#& SDFG#%$^T(SJSWQ(W$#Yseragjkewvgjiw pouiv p8qw 3rpo isn!!

Deep breath. Easy now, there's no need to point the gun at anything. Simmer down now. Okay, what do we know? Fuses are good. Switch switches. Motor motors. Relay's....summina apple pie. Let's check the relays.

Well, pins look good, no arc points, no corrosion. Okay, let's swap 'em. Switch to 2wd. Low light goes dark, 4wd light goes dark. Fricken fracken tootin hollerin mule dog. Yeah, about an hour wasted because I was too retarded to check my relays. Need to grab a new one today, but she's back in 2wd with no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice tip. Entertaining too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.