Front driveshaft binding - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Front driveshaft binding

Hey guys i have my truck in the 4x4 shop and they are saying the angle of my drive shaft is too big so my u joints are binding when my suspension is stretching.

Beyond tilting the front axle which he said screws up the steering what are some options to stop this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not too many.

Take out the front drive shaft and don't worry about it
Spin the diff on the axles to reposition
Lower truck.

Rear is a lot easier, though you still have to worry about seals. The front is where all the camber and toe and all that happy stuff happens, and simply rotating the axle will cause issues. Like steering in to the ground instead of sideways. But, actually rotating the diff on the axles will change the drive shaft angles, while maintaining camber and alignment. A good 4x4 shop can do it, but I have no idea what they charge.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most 4x4 fab shops will a "cut-n-turn" where they set the pinion angle correct then cut off the steering knuckles and re weld them to the axle tubes after setting the correct caster angle. I had it done on a '66 scout and my shop shop charged $600.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
Not too many.

Take out the front drive shaft and don't worry about it
Spin the diff on the axles to reposition
Lower truck.

Rear is a lot easier, though you still have to worry about seals. The front is where all the camber and toe and all that happy stuff happens, and simply rotating the axle will cause issues. Like steering in to the ground instead of sideways. But, actually rotating the diff on the axles will change the drive shaft angles, while maintaining camber and alignment. A good 4x4 shop can do it, but I have no idea what they charge.
So they actually can rotate the pumpkin independent of everything else? I never knew that
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty8734 View Post
Most 4x4 fab shops will a "cut-n-turn" where they set the pinion angle correct then cut off the steering knuckles and re weld them to the axle tubes after setting the correct caster angle. I had it done on a '66 scout and my shop shop charged $600.
That's definitely one way to do it. We always just locked the hubs, heated up the diff, and rotated via yoke leverage. With no "standard" angles to adjust to, it was all done with that redneck eye of "Yep, looks good". Test drive, then weld tubes in place. edit to add: It also wasn't done in any sort of professional capacity. Just back yard fixes. If a professional shop does it in a different manner, I would side with their way of doing it.

Last edited by Macon; 03-25-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Yes, but it requires a competent shop to do it! most "box" store places like 4wparts and such don't do custom stuff to make the lifts work right.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
That's definitely one way to do it. We always just locked the hubs, heated up the diff, and rotated via yoke leverage. With no "standard" angles to adjust to, it was all done with that redneck eye of "Yep, looks good". Test drive, then weld tubes in place.
This method does work, but wouldn't recommend it on something that you daily drive or have to trust to keep you and other people safe. I did it on a trail rig that was trailerd place to place
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Chapter Director

Mine shop definitely isnt a box store they specialize in huge lifts so they oughta be able to do that i think
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty8734 View Post
This method does work, but wouldn't recommend it on something that you daily drive or have to trust to keep you and other people safe. I did it on a trail rig that was trailerd place to place
Yeah, I edited my post to add in what kind of fix it was. Mine was a dd, but most of the ones done were primarily trailer queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224
Mine shop definitely isnt a box store they specialize in huge lifts so they oughta be able to do that i think
I hate to talk them down, but if they are saying there's nothing they can do to fix your problem, they are not a 4x4 shop. They're a lift kit installer shop. They might be great guys, but bolting on parts is a lot different than fab'ing components.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Yeah, I edited my post to add in what kind of fix it was. Mine was a dd, but most of the ones done were primarily trailer queens.

I hate to talk them down, but if they are saying there's nothing they can do to fix your problem, they are not a 4x4 shop. They're a lift kit installer shop. They might be great guys, but bolting on parts is a lot different than fab'ing components.
They didnt say they couldnt, they arent just a lift kit installer, they are a true 4x4 shop its two brothers and a couple other guys in a shop and they have several highly custom lifted trucks sitting out back. I trust them they know what they are doing, he never said they couldnt he just told me it will need to be fixed in the future before i do any more 4x4ing so i was getting ideas how.

Is there anyway to turn the t-case so its angled lower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.