Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

F-350 2002 Dually rear axle seals

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  7.34ever 
#1 ·
Guys,
I need a reference for parts and tools.
Both rear seals appear blown out and the differential is leaking. Before I remove the axle I need a reference to order parts, proper axle nut socket and get torque values fluid types etc to complete the job over a weekend.

Anyone have a good reference? At 101,000 on road miles what are the chances I'll find bad bearings when I replace the seals?

*Never saw a seal so blown that you can see fluid lines streaking off the tires :look:

#2 ·
I had bad axle seals on my 07 f550 at 60k. On my 99 f450 it went 188k before any problems so it can happen anytime.

The bearings are probably ok and your local autoparts store should have the axle nut socket and parts you need. I've bought all the sockets I have at Carquest auto parts locally.

The torque values are another story cause trying to get that info from anyone is near impossible. You may wanna get a repair manual so you have references readily available

#3 ·
Bad to worse? It looks like some heat!

Pulled the hub and saw this.

Is the bluing an issue? To me that would normally be heat but the bearings feel smooth.

I am at a loss. Why would both seals blow fluid starting at about the same time? Is there a vent line that could be clogged up? Is the fluid level so low that the bearings are getting hot enough to color the shaft?

I put the hub and axle back on to keep things clean but I do not feel good just replacing the rear seal and moving on without some additional input.

#5 ·
Pulled the hub and saw this.

Is the bluing an issue? To me that would normally be heat but the bearings feel smooth.

I am at a loss. Why would both seals blow fluid starting at about the same time? Is there a vent line that could be clogged up? Is the fluid level so low that the bearings are getting hot enough to color the shaft?

I put the hub and axle back on to keep things clean but I do not feel good just replacing the rear seal and moving on without some additional input.
I would say replace the bearings as well. Is the spindle still smooth where the bluing is??? The rest looks normal for the issue you're having

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.