Brake problems, I think - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Brake problems, I think

i noticed that my passenger rear rotor is only 1/8" think while all three of the others are at least 3/8" thick maybe more. is this normal? could that caliper be sticking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM

I'd bet what you'll find is that the pads "ears" are corroded into the slots in the caliper bracket. Despite the SS slide "clips", all that stuff tends to weld together back there...

Take the two 12mm caliper bolts off and lift the caliper off so you can check those pins but, if they pull in & out 1/2" easily, try to slide the pads back off the rotor and see if they're not stuck there. You should never see uneven pad wear.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Brake problems, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer pyle View Post
i noticed that my passenger rear rotor is only 1/8" think while all three of the others are at least 3/8" thick maybe more. is this normal? could that caliper be sticking?
Either caliper sticking or the pads are catching in the sliders from rust and what not.

Have you noticed. Drop in mpg? Does that wheel ever get hot? Did you replace all rotors at once?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 AM

these are the original pads and rotors as the truck on has 70k on it. i have not noticed that wheel being hot but have not actually gone to it to feel. i will try to tear it down this week. i never thought about the pads sticking.
the rotor is getting thin enough that i am worried about it warping. any suggestions on rear brakes only or brakes all the way around? i think i am going to use EBC
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
these are the original pads and rotors as the truck on has 70k on it. i have not noticed that wheel being hot but have not actually gone to it to feel. i will try to tear it down this week. i never thought about the pads sticking.
the rotor is getting thin enough that i am worried about it warping. any suggestions on rear brakes only or brakes all the way around? i think i am going to use EBC
I like to replace each axle as a pair

Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM

I guess i was trying to ask to do rear only or front and rear?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I guess i was trying to ask to do rear only or front and rear?
Tear your front apart also and just check to make sure its all moving freely and determine from there. If things are getting worn. And at 70k in sure they are. If you got the money is just replace atleast rotors and pads all the way around calipers dont normally go bad that often

Old 03-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Yea, I'd be surprised if your, 70K, rear rotors are any good. It's gonna be more about corrosion than any "thinness" (these rotors don't really warp anyway, pulsations are caused by surface differences). Because the backing plate keeps it damp, it rusts, those rear pads don't get the workout the fronts do, and that rust gets deposited on the pads and ground back in. The back sides of those rotors get really lumped-up.

Good news is, they're cheap! I mean, the way they probably are right now, they're barely doin' their job. Your fronts are the real brakes anyway, I don't think twice about buying cheap stuff for the rears and spend the money you save on really good brakes up Front

I see eBay kits (rotors/pads/clips) for $100 delivered!

I wouldn't necessarily think you need to do the fronts now, check 'em and see. I would spend for the "good stuff" up there though (cryo/hawk/new pins).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.