Strange POP noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Strange POP noise

On Sunday I left for work, but ended up having to take my truck back home and take a different car because of an intermittent clanking/thud noise when driving. I flew out monday morning and just got home a few hours ago. I started my truck up fine. But without even driving it turned the wheel to pull away from the curb and it made an extremely loud popping noise. Keep in mind, the truck hasnt even moved yet. When I turn the wheel back and forth it makes a very very loud popping noise when i turn it side to side.

I crawled under with a flash light and everything seems tight and no movement or anything. Doesnt look like anything is getting caught up on anything either. What do you guys think it could be? The noise is made when the truck is stationary. This is my main vehicle so I need it fixed ASAP. Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 AM

put the truck on stands ,see if it'll mimmick the sound again, with no load on tires/suspension.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM

Update: I jacked up the truck spun the wheels and checked for wobble or looseness. Everything was fine and under no load there was no popping noise. Dropped it back down and drove it, no pop noise. But now its making the clanking/grinding metal on metal noise. Locked the front hubs, it makes less of a noise, but its intermittent and seems like it makes the noise every few rotations of the front passenger tire. I think the next step would be to take the tire off and check everything.

A while ago the heat shield for the passenger front brake got bent by something and was rubbing the rotor. Im wondering if that could be part of the problem, it still looks like the underside of the shield might still be touching on the top of the rotor. I feel nothing in the steering wheel or floor boards. Any other suggestions? Im pretty sure the passenger side needle bearing is going out which might play a roll, but this noise is slightly different than that of a needle bearing going out
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure if you've fixed your problem yet, but when i bought my 01 had a strange popping noise too. Replaced all the tie rods twice in two years thinking it was them and it still didnt solve the problem. Long story shot took a trip to houston recently (about a 400 mile drive one way) noticed a sqeaking noise once i arrived thought it was the brakes. On the was back noticed that i could feel a grinding from the frontend got home jacked the drivers side up and with a hand on top and bottom of the wheel was able to wobble the wheel back and forth on the hub (wheel bearings in the hub shot). Bought a new hub assemble at oreillys (sealed unit not rebuildable) for about 200.00, took about an hour to install with common tools not a bad job. After that was relpace the popping noise was gone. not sure if this is your problem but sounds similar to mine.

Last edited by Akasilentbob; 04-22-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM

I would recheck the major suspension points/ball joints, you might also check the bolts/mounting on your steering box. It's possible that under load and pressure maybe one of those sheered/got loose and the box is leading to that banging noise.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 AM

I figured it out a few weeks ago. And already replaced the problem. Turned out to b my wheel bearing had gone bad. Luckily it didnt lead to any other damage in my axle. But it was a bad passenger front wheel bearing. Got a whole new Timken wheel hub assembly (for only $182!). Got it installed no problem and she drives perfect with no horrible noises lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.