Noise from front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noise from front end

I have a '01 4wd and I was wondering about sounds like a little front end noise. I just replaced rear end with a used one after a dry bearing noise, now I have it again but sounds different, and seems like the noise changes when I lock in the manual hubs not being in 4wd. Any idea? I've replaced main hubs and the auto hubs with manual ones and just had tires rotated and rebalanced because it had been years since it had been done. I may just have Ford check it out eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

have you replaced or checked the wheel bearings? does it change when you make a right or left hand turn? Sounds kind of like a groaning noise or what? sounds like it might be one of the unitized hubs going out. May also be u joints in the axles or on the front drive shaft. check them out too
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 AM

Yea I've replaced the wheel bearings twice and it's more like a groaning, rubbing noise. Well
Replaced the left one twice because I thought the first one I got might have been bad. And I replaced the axle seals on the left side not the right. I should just do both driveshaft u joints and see what that does.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 AM

Does change some with turning, coming off the throttle and braking. And the u joints in the axles seem to not have much slack but I guess that doesn't mean the bearing or needles aren't dry. But how much do they rotate in free spin?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Noise from front end

If the hubs are unlocked the axles and front shaft shouldn't spin at all. But you said seems to really make noise when you lock the hubs in right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Na seems to be less noise when the hubs are locked in.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Noise from front end

Hmm. I'd jack it up and check everything. Sounds like probably a unitized hub going out

Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Both have been replaced with last 3 months the left one twice.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Noise from front end

Yeah I'd say to check it out a little closer. Maybe someone else will have another idea. When you put the hubs in, did they come with new needle bearing assemblies or did you re use the old ones

Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM

+1 on sounds like there could be one of the hubs that maybe isn't disengaging properly because you're saying that changes the sound. One side locking would give you an odd sound because the one engaged side of the axle would spin the diff and potentially counter rotate the other side plus spin the driveline, parts in the transfer case and such, but would sound more normal when both hubs were properly locked and everything was spinning in the right natural direction at matching speeds.

You should also check the vacuum system to each side and make sure all of that is tight and right since you've done the hubs.

I'd personally go to full manual aftermarket hubs and bypass all that garbage. That's the plan for my crappy stock locked up ones. Definitely look into asap though as a single locked hub can do unhappy things to your transfer case etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.