Shift on Fly issues (P1867) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shift on Fly issues (P1867)

I have read all over this site as well as others looking for a how to, to track an ESOF issue I just developed.

First off, I have a 2000 f250. Otherwise runs very well. Last week went to put it in 4x4. No 4x4 dash light, no 4x4. Checked the two fuzes, one in dash panel, one under the hood. Both OK. Replaced relays next to under hood fuse panel with new ones. No 4x4. Ran codes with AE and pulled P1867, GEM Control Timer, Transfer Case Plate General Circuit Failure.

Obviously there is a circuit failure. A wire (worst item to chase), or possibly the contacts in the switch motor on the x-fer case.

Anyone know how to check the contacts in the x-fer case motor (ohm readings). If it's that simple I would rather get the new motor and not bother chasing the 5000 wires all located on the driver side under the hood. Obviously I may have to chase wires, but I would rather check the ends of the lines first. If it's the GEM, I don't know how you ID that one.

Also, I read where a few folks have had to replace the switch in the dash. Any ideas of what to check on the dash switch for proper operationan?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced the 4x4 relays with new ones. No change still no 4x4. As I see it from a wiring diagram I got off a similar post, the relays are only used for low to high range and high to low range, so not likely my problem anyway. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Peter
Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Shift motor fix

You can take the GEM clear out of the 4x4 activation circuit and still operate electrical motor to shift transfer case with a simple addition of a switch.

1. Locate the 4x4 relays next to the brake reservoir.
2. Pull the relays and look at the post numbers on the relay. They are 87,
87a, 30, 86, 85.
3. Do the following relay socket checks (both relays) with a meter:
a. 87a to gnd.
b. 12 volts is present at 86 and 87 (if not check fuse)
4. If checks are correct, add a DPDT switch, with center off, as follows (switch must return to center when released).
a. Add wire from center pole to ground
b. From the relay socket wiring add a wire from the brown/white wire
to one side of the switch. Tap the wires. GEM does not care-this is a
ground from the GEM anyway.
c. Add a wire from the orange/lt blue wire to the other side of the switch.
5. Pull the connector off of the shift motor and put a test light across the terminals.
6. Put the relays back in
7. Push the switch up then down and confirm that the light comes on in both directions.
8. Put the connector back on the shift motor.

Caution--To activate and deactivate 4wd hold the switch only until the 4x4 dash light goes on or off and release switch immediately. If you hold switch too far past the activation point, as indicated by the 4x4 dash light, you will damage the motor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.