Broken wheel studs... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken wheel studs...

So my dad and I are driving home from work in the 2000 F-350 7.3 Dually (We work at the same place) last Friday when all of a sudden we hear a "SNAP!" in the front end it wasnt that loud but loud enough we both herd it over the radio and the engine. (we were in town going 25-30 MPH) I pulled over imeditaly to check it. Thinking it was the 4x4 acting up i locked in my hubs and threw it in 4 wheel. Drove about 4 miles down the road then the truck started shaking Violently and viberating like a son of a B****.... pull over again. check every thing over again, unlock the hubs take it out of 4 wheel. Drove about 10 miles going about 35 in a 55. The shaking got worse and worse.. then my old man rolled down the window and stuck his head out to see my hubcap missing and my passanger front wheel wobbeling... Well two studs next to each other broke off and the other 6 lugs were held on by about 3 turns. I did a break job 3 months ago and i torqed to the proper 148 foot pounds that the book showed and then again after 100 miles.

I did a further investigation while I replaced all 8 studs and noticed that one of the studs that broke was once replaced also with a new lug nut. I guess thats what you expect when your the 4th owner of a truck with 280,000 miles

So I guess im wondering if anyone has ever had an issue like this before?

Last edited by Jake.; 01-07-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have to say that they must have not been tightened properly and as soon as they back off enough to let the rim float you start snapping studs

I have never had a lug nut come loose other than one someone took them off on purpose

Quote:
see my hubcap missing and my passanger front wheel wobbeling.
any chance someone was messing with you ? you would expect that hub cap with lugs floating around would have made a bunch of noise before it "fell off"
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Never happened on the front for me but on the back twice. In my case I know for sure that I tightened them and rechecked them. But what I think happens is that the threads stretch and get weak when you have a lot of miles on. In my case I was over 500k.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 AM

ive only had this happen once and it was on a car with aftermarket wheels where the lugs didnt seat properly. factory wheels on your truck?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM

I'm positive i put the lugs on correctly. Ive had these wheels on and off more that once and never had an issue. I dont think someone was messing with me because the hubcap was on when i left work and there was no noise untill i drove about 25 miles half way home. Plus i work out in the middle of no where. but you never know some jelous basterd at work could have loosened them all and put the cover back on... ! had to go back and look for my hubcap when it fell off and when i found it there was one of the broken studs along with a lugnut in it. Oh well i guess i got all new in it now. could of been worse.

Yes they are the stock rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.