Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

02 250 bad cross bearings? or something else.

945 views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  lakailimited06 
#1 ·
02 f250 auto/4x4 98k miles. about a week ago started hearing chirping under the truck. i assumed the cross bearings/u joints whatever you want to call them, or the support bearing were on their way out on the rear driveshaft.

today jacked the rearend up, tranny in neutral, i spun the tires/driveshaft and couldnt get the sound to occur. there were no visible signs that they were shot that i could see, no play in all 3 joints and no play in the support bearing. I'm thinking maybe they need a load/more speed on them in order for the sound to occur? any help/ideas are appreciated..thanks

Jason

#3 ·
ok replaced all 3 1410 joints with moog joints and also the support bearing with a timken bearing..in and out no problems back together no problems marked everything...didn't solve my squeaking noise, but all the u joints were shot anyhow truck has close to 100k on it so not a total waste.

however, i now have a vibration above 35 mph that was never there, im guessing i could have been off by one spline on the yoke though i did mark them pretty close but you never know..could anything else have thrown it off? bearing pressed out and back in no problems i wasn't banging on anything to throw off the balance i wouldn't think.

i might try tomorrow to pull the yoke back off and shift it over one spline see if it fixes it otherwise ill suck it up and take it to a shop to get rebalanced.

can anyone think of anything i may have overlooked?

Jason

#4 ·
took the yoke back off tonight and moved it over one spline to where i thought it could have gone..still have vibrations but they are a alot better which makes me believe this is where the yoke should have gone and that nothing i did was wrong, shaft just needs to be rebalanced....

anyone know how they balance driveshafts? they leave them on the car/truck or they take them off and mount them to a machine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.