2001 7.3l Auto O/D light blinking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3l Auto O/D light blinking

Hello Gal's/Guy's, I have been a happy owner of a 2001 Ford F-350 Lariat SuperDuty 7.3l Automatic 3 spd O/D crewcab.
I have owned this truck since 2005, this issue arouse in the spring of 2009. This issue happened when not under any stress, 4 passengers, no payload, not towing. I was on a 80 mile trip west of home. One mile from my exit the O/D light started blinking and I lost O/D (4th). No problems with 1st,2nd, or 3rd. I came home and let it cool down over night. I started it and drove down the road, O/D was working and every thing great for the first 5 min. Just after the trans gets up to temp, Again the O/D light, and I loose O/D function. I must park truck and turn it off, restart it and disable the O/D, and it performs without issue. I’ve been driving the truck with this issue going on 4 years. I have a OBDII code reader. When the O/D light comes on have attempted to get OBD codes. There are never any. No check engine light just O/D light on shifter knob flashes, till I pull over and turn the motor off. I disable O/D while in park and it works fine with out O/D. I fix all my vehicle issues, and never take them to the shop.
I’ve read a lot of forum posting’s only a few described this issue, I have seen no fixes as of yet. I’m going to step up my trouble shooting to you now, mabe one of you help me pin point a fix. I don’t think it is a rebuild issue. Because it only effects O/D. There has never been anything bad found at the bottom of the pan. The tranny fluid was stressed/aged but not burnt, it has been changed since the problem first happened. I’m leaning toward a weak Solenoid shifting pak and or weak or sticking valve, this is where it gets me. Why would O/D work while it is cool and then fail 5 min into warmup? Heat/resistance building up in the solenoid pak, causing the O/D solenoid to fail??? In the Solenoid pak?
I'm hoping your sugestions will help me get my mind arround this problem, your suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Dave In Albuquerque with out O/D

Last edited by Hatrick; 12-31-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's how it works, the Flashing OD light is essentially the SES light for the Transmission. Your OBD-II scanner is pretty much useless for this (if it's one of those Generic readers, it's pretty much useless for the truck in general which are Not, specifically, OBD-II).

There ARE codes related to the transmission that will direct you to what's wrong. You need to get it on the right equipment to retrieve them. Most professional scanners (Ford, Snap-On, etc.) will do it. Most recommended for end-users here is the AutoEnginuity (@350) for the long term care of your truck if you're a DIYer
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Here's how it works, the Flashing OD light is essentially the SES light for the Transmission. Your OBD-II scanner is pretty much useless for this (if it's one of those Generic readers, it's pretty much useless for the truck in general which are Not, specifically, OBD-II).

There ARE codes related to the transmission that will direct you to what's wrong. You need to get it on the right equipment to retrieve them. Most professional scanners (Ford, Snap-On, etc.) will do it. Most recommended for end-users here is the AutoEnginuity (@350) for the long term care of your truck if you're a DIYer
NoRalPH,

Thats the kind of information I was looking for! Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.