new parts now steering wonders - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new parts now steering wonders

I know im probably jumping into conclusion to soon but just here me out. I replaced the oil seal, dust seal, rotors , calipers, pads and ball joints in the front end on both sides. In the rear i replaced all the bearings in the hub, new seals, e brake, rotors, calipers, and pads both sides...here are my problems

1. Brakes are spongy and wine with the power steering. Took it for a 2 mile ride and the back brakes were red hot and smoking. I'm going to to a ATF flush tonight and hopefully that solves the wining problem. I believe there is still air in the lines since its spongy still but could air really cause the calipers to not release properly? everything is brand new in the brake department. I took the tires off to inspect and the calipers were tough to take off the rotors.

2. On the test drive i couldn't keep the front end straight and it just felt light and floaty. Ive read everywhere on proper torquing of the ball joints and you can ruin them if not done right but i cant find any solid info. I bought TRW Spicers from NAPA and i torqued the bottom to 40ft lb then the top to 69ft lbs and the bottom to 150ft lbs. The ball joints didn't come with any torque specs and i found those specs from a Moog form. I'm hope i didn't ruin the ball joints but im thinking that the new ball joints un masked a world of other front end issues. Im going to jack it up and get under it tonight while someone plays with the steering to see if its tie rods or anything else. Right off the bat the steering wheel has a lot of play and is no longer centered when going straight. I dont think there could be a break in period for ball joints. oh and the truck needs an alignment bad. I just mounted 285/75/16 Coopers on it and i know it hasn't been aligned since the guy before me bought it in 2000. But can an alignment really fix the wondering issue?

Just looking for some other things to check. Just tell me it going to be all right!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
went through the truck tonight. Re bled all the brakes to get good clean fluid. Flushed powersteering fluid. Brake pedal came back firm so i thought i fixed it. After i took it for a testdrive after about 3 miles all the brakes started closing up. It took all i had to overpower the brakes and get home. Oce i made it back everything was hot and smoking. all 4 corners. It was breakig fine up until then and once it started it just got worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.