HELP!! Vibration!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP!! Vibration!!!

I have a vibration in the front of the truck that was VERY loud and vibrated the steering wheel, almost deafning is so loud. It only happens between 50 and 65 mph and it is speed dependent and accelerator dependent. When I push the gas it to accelerate I feel the vibration if i let off it mostly goes away. Now I know that I HAD a bad steering stabilizer at that time, I was hoping that when i istalled my new dual stabilizer setup that it would help the problem, also it got new ball joints and u-joints and I pulled the front drive shaft just to rule it out. It got an alignment and balance with the new tires and the entire suspension is new. The dual stabilizer setup did reduce the vibration greatly but i can still feel it and definitely can still hear it btn 50-65mph. Oh yeah i also installed a new steering box too. Basically the same vibration before all the work is still there after all the work and the dual SS did reduce but didnt eliminate it. Anyone have any ideas of what to try or investigate next?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wheel bearings were checked when doing the front end?

I would then try rotating the tires and see if the vib moves to the rear of the vehicle.

It gets worse when you are accelerating?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hub bearings are tight... Wheels and tires are brand new and vibration was there before I replaced the wheels and tires... When accelerating I get to 50 through 65 mph I feel the vibration... But let's say I'm going 62mph and I let off the gas the vibration IMMEDIATELY STOPS... Then as soon as I touch the gas pedal it IMMEDIATELY STARTS vibrating again
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 AM

Ok, saw you pulled the front driveshaft to see if that helped but did you make sure the hubs were unlocked? Not just if they are in the unlock position but actually disengaged?

Sounds like it is drivetrain and since you said it is in the steering wheel, its most likely in the front end.
Is the vibe a fast frequency or slow?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Seems like a quick vibration... The bearings did seem tight by hand when I replaced the hubs out for warn hubs. Correct me if I'm wrong but to test if axle is engaged I can Jack up the front end and engage the hubs and both tires should spin then disengage the hubs and they should spin freely independently of each other? I did have both shafts pulled and I changed everything out except the wheel bearing... U-joint and all seals. Could u explain the significance of the shaft engagement?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM

I was just pushing the idea of actually verifying the hubs are disengaging. Some guys would go look and if the hub is pointing at "free" then they think it is unlocked. It should be, but doesnt always mean it is. That was what I meant.

Yeah, you can jack the front up . Then slide under and rotate the front driveshaft by hand (engine not running) to see if the tires spin or not. Engaged (lock) should make them spin and so on.

If it is a fast vibe then that is usually before the axle like (and not meaning they are bad) trans, transfer case, dirveshafts. Could it be coming from the rear shaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.