front axle issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: church point, la
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front axle issue

got under the truck and found a bad u joint on my front passenger side, and the axle shaft .. well it moves from top to bottom in the tube.. i've already done hubs and ball joints, so i'm familiar with disassembly, but i don't remember a bearing being in the tube... ? am i just spacing out? or was there one that i have now lost.. if so .. what's the part number for said bearing?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaroon View Post
got under the truck and found a bad u joint on my front passenger side, and the axle shaft .. well it moves from top to bottom in the tube.. i've already done hubs and ball joints, so i'm familiar with disassembly, but i don't remember a bearing being in the tube... ? am i just spacing out? or was there one that i have now lost.. if so .. what's the part number for said bearing?

thanks
Spacing out.. There is no bearing in the tube. The axle stub shaft rides in a needle bearing inside the unit hub. W/o the hub in place it moves around a lot, with the hub in place it will still allow movement, but it is limited. You could have worn needle bearings. If the outside smaller dust shield was worn it could have allowed road grime and dirt inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: church point, la
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks for clearing up my brainfart. you wouldn't happen to have part numbers for the NEW style inner (axle end) and outer (hub) dust seal and needle bearing set. from what i remember, besides a ujoint, that's all i should need for this little project.. i don't need the vacuum oring, since i'm manual hubbed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaroon View Post
thanks for clearing up my brainfart. you wouldn't happen to have part numbers for the NEW style inner (axle end) and outer (hub) dust seal and needle bearing set. from what i remember, besides a ujoint, that's all i should need for this little project.. i don't need the vacuum oring, since i'm manual hubbed..
Take a look at the attached pdf, it is a ball joint replacement write-up. It has all the info you need including the part numbers and some pics.

Just noticed your sig... I have a '70 800A.. doesn't get any better
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SuperDuty Ball Joint Replacement_v2.pdf (1.83 MB, 170 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: church point, la
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel View Post

Just noticed your sig... I have a '70 800A.. doesn't get any better
thanks alot, lol.. if i could be done workin on this truck, i MAY have time to get to my scouts.. lol..
i pulled my axle shaft this morning so i could use the truck till all my parts came in.. my needle bearings were nonexistant... my seals are finished and my ujoint is.. of course crapped out.. seals are on order, u joint is sitting at napa a mile from my house, but i'm not sure about the needle bearing.. what's it called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaroon View Post
thanks alot, lol.. if i could be done workin on this truck, i MAY have time to get to my scouts.. lol..
i pulled my axle shaft this morning so i could use the truck till all my parts came in.. my needle bearings were nonexistant... my seals are finished and my ujoint is.. of course crapped out.. seals are on order, u joint is sitting at napa a mile from my house, but i'm not sure about the needle bearing.. what's it called?
The needle bearing is part of the hub assy. If it is shot the only way to replace it is to replace the hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,970
Thanks: 2
Thanked 94 Times in 89 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel View Post
The needle bearing is part of the hub assy. If it is shot the only way to replace it is to replace the hub.
The needles (Ford-C6TZ-3123A) are easily purchased & replaced separately from the hub...

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Johnny Law Brown

 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tipton, IN
Posts: 366
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The needele bearing is easy to change napa part number B2110
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: zumbrota, mn
Posts: 607
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
will be doing this shortly also, as my axle shafts have more than a little play. i am interested to see how bad those needle bearings are as i havent looked at them in the 42k that i have driven the truck. she has 242k on her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors