the right rear end parts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the right rear end parts

how do I know what bearing kit for my rear end 2001 350 guuna do all bearings in rear diff
are there different ones out there?
Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM

Look at it like this.. part of knowing how to replace the rear carrier bearings is knowing what parts are needed. You're gonna have to get it dialed back in after removing the carrier.

But. to get you started you will need to know what diff you have and if it is a limited slip. From there just make sure you're getting timken or maybe Fed Mogul bearings.. There is only one type. If you have a LSD you should also have a look at the clutch packs. Getting it back together is the reverse, but you will have to make sure you set the backlash correctly or you will be humming loudly either accelerating or decelerating. Look for a youtube vid of someone setting up a rear diff. Also, you can go to Ford with your VIN and ask them to look up those parts for your specific truck. Make sure to get the info they look up and head to Napa or your favorite parts store and ask for those same parts made by Timken, they'll be cheaper. The outer hub bearings are much easier and also readily available and do not require any "dialing" in, but you shoudl get brand new wheel Hub bolts.. You will notice they are not regular bolts but are a 2-piece locking style hub nut. You will need a special tool to remove the rear hub nuts. If you don't get new ones make sure to clean all the dirt and old grease out of the nut/locking ring.

I apologize in advance if I am telling you something you already know, but your question leads me to believe you have not done this.

good luck

Last edited by NorCalDiesel; 10-15-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM

sterling rearend ring a bell

Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM

just need to know if that sound s right for year make and model of truck

Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazola View Post
just need to know if that sound s right for year make and model of truck

It is possible in which case it would be a Sterling 10.5. But F350's could also have a D60 as could others however it would be more common in an F350. You should have a tag somewhere around the cover bolt pattern that has some identifying numbers. Also, I attached a pic of a D60 that you could use for reference. You have to positively identify your diff, the rebuild kits are different.
Attached Thumbnails
the right rear end parts-d60.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 AM

when I changed rear diff fluid the tag was lost, my rear does not look like the one pictured.guy at ford is guessing sterling 10.25 so guess I will have to wing it for now

Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
when I changed rear diff fluid the tag was lost, my rear does not look like the one pictured.guy at ford is guessing sterling 10.25 so guess I will have to wing it for now

I would as usual, question the "guy" at Ford since 99 and later had a Sterling 10.5" and 99 and earlier had the 10.25". Some of those parts are interchangable, but you still want to order or buy the correct parts or you'll be back.

My advice is to know more about what you're getting into. If you don't set the internal bearing preload correctly and get the backlash dialed in it will make a sh!& ton of noise. I did my Jeep 3 times before I got it right and I have since done others, but would still prefer to take it to someone who does this all day since they get it right the first time. Anyhow, youtube is your friend in situations like these.

I would run it by the Ford guy once again with your new found knowledge and see what he says, and I am not trying to talk you out of it, it's just that it is not your ordinary DIY repair.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM

you should have told me that in the first place dude! did not all trucks come with the sterling??? I will talk to him when I go back for parts and spec s for reassembly

Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No, not all have Sterlings. Some have D60s. F350 duallys are all D80s.
What is the rear diff code on the door pillar sticker?
01 F350? SRW, DRW what?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
you should have told me that in the first place dude! did not all trucks come with the sterling??? I will talk to him when I go back for parts and spec s for reassembly

Re-read the thread, I've told you a lot of things. I pointed out that F350's in particular are optioned differently wrt rear ends and that you could have a Sterling. I just didn't include the 10.25 since it's pointless. F350's came with D60's in DRW and SRW and D80's in DRW and a Sterling if it was not factory optioned with say a Heavy Tow package or Plow package and then you get the guy that says he has a Sterling in his Dually, You got one of 'em.

Your VIN has this info. You're asking online how to ID your rear end with the intention of pulling it all apart, This is not going to be your last thread.

Last edited by NorCalDiesel; 10-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.