Rear Drivetrain issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rear Drivetrain issues

1. I have a very significant vibration seems to me coming from the rear at all speeds and can definitely feel when idleing along that it goes along with tire rotation not faster like driveshaft rotation. I jacked it up put it in N and could not rotate pass side tire at all. I could rotate driver side but was more difficult than I thought it should be. Pulled rear pass tire and had a very difficult time getting caliper off. I could turn it now, but still difficult, then pulled the rotor and whala turns easier.

2. For some reason when i turn the axle (on the pass rear) it turns pretty good going forward, but it turns significantly harder turning backwards. Granted I can still turn by hand but thought it was kinda wierd that it turns much harder going backward.

I have replaced all U-joints and carrier bearings for what its worth if someone asks. Im in a hurry so please forgive some any mis-information. So please ask as I have to hit the road til tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Um, not sure I understand what you are wanting to know. It seems like you have diagnosed it quite well as you have found aome issues to address.

If I remember right, the park brake is inside the hub of the rotors and are shoes. This could be your problem with the dragging.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

For all who have been having severe vibration issues, you may want to check your rear brakes. For what its worth, my vibration was horrendous at 50-65 MPH. It ended up being one of the pistons in the rear passenger side caliper was sized. It got so hot that it cracked the rotor too. Lol, wife is good at kickin so I had her push the pedal while I stuck a socket to keep the other piston from popping out of the cylinder. Pushed as hard as she could and it didn't budge. Whala, no more teef rattlin.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glad you got it figured out man.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Ya, me too. If I hadn't found that right away I was just about an hour later going to dump $1200 bucks in a new trutrac, ring gear, bearings, and mag hytec cover. I really wanted too but I can really use that money for something else. I.E. turbo and HPOP. Caliper was warranty too. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.