New owner, worried about driveline issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New owner, worried about driveline issues

Hey guys, Im new to this forum and new to my truck, a 2001 F250 4x2 7.3PSD with the 4r100 auto and 3.73 rear end. This is my first HD truck, my last vehicle was a nissan frontier, it was failing while towing for my boat repair business, so I bought this.

A few issues Im having, I apologize if these are just me being paranoid, but longevity is my goal.

1. When I take off from a red light/ stop sign with moderate throttle (averaging 1700 rpm through the gears) I roll about a foot, and then get a light THUD. no sound, just a seat of your pants little giddie-up that feels wrong to me. Other 7.3 owners have told me this is odd and theirs are completly smooth out of the hole. When everything is cold, it is much less apparent. Is this something worth stressing over? Am I tearing something up? We have eliminated the following issues: U-Joints in good shape, Diff in good shape, fresh crush sleeve. Joint between drive shafts in good shape. I feel like at this point Im screwed and have a screwed tranny......

2. More of a I F****d up issue. I had a small diff pinion seal leak, a buddy of mine owns a diesel speed shop (total admits hes not a rear-end master, specializes in internal engine work) he let me use all of his tools free to swap out the seal. Did the job according to factory spec, torq values followed precisely, IT STILL LEAKS.... Im gunna shoot someone....

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, Im not sure if its normal for this truck, but with my nissan, if I was veryyy light on the throttle through the gears, it would shift through them whilst maintaining very low rpms, and when I got on it of course, it would hold them much longer.

with the new truck, when light on the gas, it goes through first like that, but then it holds the rest longer than I would if I was running a manual. Is this just normal for the 4r100?

and the truck has 165,xxx miles btw.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The problem you mention in #1 is a common problem that occurs from not having enough lubrication in the slip joint on the rear driveshaft. It's an easy fix. See this link: Slip joint regreasing
Old 09-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh, by the way, it is recommended that you use the Ford PTFE Lubricant. The part number for the smaller tube is XG-8. This cured my driveline thunk when I purchased a new to me F350 earlier this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.