Front driveshaft problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front driveshaft problem

2000 f250 4x4
Should the front drive shaft be free (not spinning in gear)while operating in 2wd? I have the auto/lock hubs.

Last edited by cajundave; 09-07-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In an "ideal world" it wouldn't spin at all. In the Real World it actually does turn some (drag from grease in the hubs and oil in the diff).

If you want to know if either hub in engaged for sure, jack-it-up and see if the U-Joint behind the wheel turns with the tire...
Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
In an "ideal world" it wouldn't spin at all. In the Real World it actually does turn some (drag from grease in the hubs and oil in the diff).

If you want to know if either hub in engaged for sure, jack-it-up and see if the U-Joint behind the wheel turns with the tire...

I jacked it up and the u joint behind the wheel does turn. The front drive shaft spins when either of the front wheels spin. I shifted it in and out of 4x4 and it is stuck. Any suggestions?

About 3 years ago I had the truck in 4x4 and i had to cut the wheel all the way left in order to fit through a passage way. When I did this I heard a real loud noise come from the front area. Since then, when I cut my wheel hard to the left or right in 2wheel drive I hear the same thump. And the thump will repeat itself if I continue to keep the wheel cut hard left or right. A year after that I replaced my front ball joints, front u joints, swing arms. The noise has not went away. I don't know how long the front drive shaft has been locked in gear.

Last edited by cajundave; 09-07-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 AM

To confirm, you set the hub into "Free" and the U-Joint still turns? Put a big screwdriver or prybar into that joint to see if it's truly Locked maybe...
Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
To confirm, you set the hub into "Free" and the U-Joint still turns? Put a big screwdriver or prybar into that joint to see if it's truly Locked maybe...
my hubs do not have any markings on them, but my manual says that they can be in "auto" or "locked" position. In both positions the u-joints and front drive shaft spins along with the tires.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 AM

OK, you have vacuum hubs and it sounds like they could be stuck. Even if they're not, I'd give them a good cleaning and lube for good maintenance anyway...

Have a read through this -> Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page
Old 09-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
OK, you have vacuum hubs and it sounds like they could be stuck. Even if they're not, I'd give them a good cleaning and lube for good maintenance anyway...

Have a read through this -> Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

thanks a bunch, I'll try cleaning them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.