Vibration in Driveline - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration in Driveline

I have a 2001 F250 CCSB 4WD, last weekend I took my 4" lift off along with 35" tires and put stock leafs back on the front, removed the lift kit blocks from rear, and removed the carrier bearing spacer, and put stock wheels back on with 285's.

I now have a annoying vibration around 55 to 60 mph. It's a light vibration and seems to only happen at the mentioned speed when I'm on the gas, when I let off it goes away. I checked the u-joints in the rear driveshaft and they had no play, 2 of the 3 have zerk fittings I greased both of them. I checked the carrier bearing and found that it has about 3/8" of up and down play, the rubber is cracked in a few spots and when I turn it the bearing makes a clicking sound. I'm going to change this out as the new one wasn't too expensive. Not sure if this will help with my problems. I also have a moaning sound when slowing down around 30mph, I used to think it was just the 35" tires, but it's still present.

Anyone have to shim the carrier bearing with the stock f250 rear blocks ? I don't have any shutter on take off now, but did with the lift and the carrier bearing being spaced down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your driveshaft should have no more than a 5 degree angle to it at the carrier bearing. I would replace it since it is worn cause the bad rubber will amplify the problem. Also there are different size blocks that were available. 4", 2", and 1 1/2. Depending on what block came in your truck (which was probably 2") and which one you installed you still might need to shim one way or another.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck has the factory 2" block in the rear, the lift kit was a 4 block that was stacked. I hope the carrier bearing is the issue. If not then I'm out of ideas, but the rubber is shot for sure. Not sure if my problems are common for a bad carrier bearing.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changed out the carrier bearing and all three u joints and no change in vibration. On test ride I noticed that no matter if your on the gas or not from 55 to 62 mph it has the vibration and cleans up after 62 mph. I'm not sure what to do next but I'm going to shim the carrier bearing tomorrow in 1/4" increments upto 1" just to see what happens. If it was a tire out of balance or the driveshaft I would think that the vibration would get worse with speed and not go away. Correct ? Also I felt a light vibration around 40 mph.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just had mine rebalanced and the shop found out that the bolts that bolt the two halfs togeather were lose. Check all bolts and see if that helps.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I swapped out rims and tires to another set a friend had, no change. I really looked over everything and the rear section of the driveshaft has been painted which I'm guessing was done by a driveshaft shop. I'm also thinking the slip joint is not OEM. I think at one point either the rear driveshaft was lengthened or the slip yoke was changed out for one reason or another and something got longer. Now that the lift kit isn't on there I don't think there is enough travel in the slip joint ? The slip joint has about 1/8" to 1/4" travel before it bottoms out sitting in the driveway ? I'm thinking that as the suspension is moving it's bottoming out and binding up the driveshaft giving me the vibration. Anyone think I need more travel ? Thinking of taking it to a driveshaft shop and having them cutting down to what they say I need and re balancing. Also is the slip joint suppose to be by the carrier bearing or by the axle, mine is by the carrier bearing.

On a stock crew cab short bed, how much of the yoke is showing ?

Last edited by Jmunk; 08-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can anyone give me dimensions of the rear section of the rear drive shaft off a crew cab short bed with a 7.3 from weld to weld.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same vibration on a stock 00 ccsb. It just started while I was driving. i have tried new u-joints and center bearing, changing rims and tires with my other truck, all new wheal bearings, I even changed drive shafts with other truck and the vibration has not changed. I'm thinking that it is in the trans or transfer case. Taking it to a transmission shop this week. I'll post what they tell me.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got the shaft shortened and balanced. It is better however I still have a vibration at 55 to 60mph. I tries to shim the carrier and seems that 3/8 helped it. It seems be most noticeable when your one the gas lightly. I'm not sure what to check next. I'm wondering if the new moog u joints have a issue. One if the caps slide in by hand into they yoke, but felt tight when i tried to wiggle it.

I'm going to try shimming more, but a stock height truck shouldnt need any shim whih concerns me. Not sure where to look next. I'll pull the rear shaft again and drive in 4wd to see if I can pinpoint and rule out the rear end. I could take it to the shop that did the drive shaft but hate to pay someone.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunk View Post
Not sure where to look next. I'll pull the rear shaft again and drive in 4wd to see if I can pinpoint and rule out the rear end. I could take it to the shop that did the drive shaft but hate to pay someone.
Did you ever figure out this? in the past few weeks I have a vibration that has started to pop up. I just had the carrier bearing and all 3 u joints replaced and that helped some, but still there. Tires were rebalanced last week. I am thinking at this point like you, pull the rear drive shafts and run in 4x4 to see if the problem is any better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.