To those running lifts/oversized tires...just a word of warning: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckGirl
To those running lifts/oversized tires...just a word of warning:

I know that many of us PSD ethusiasts have lifts and run oversized tires...I've had my Ex now for 9 years. Its had a lift, and I've actually upped the tire size twice. That being said, I know that after a "near miss" I had Saturday, I'd like to share what could have been something tragic, and something that I've never thought of being a risk of running the lift/tires.

I was headed out to have lunch with the husband, and jumped in the Ex, put it in drive, and went to pull away from the house. I didn't make it 4" and heard a loud "POP." At that moment, my steering was GONE. The day before I had run to the job site up here in MT, and was on the interstate running near 80 mph, like I do daily...if this had happened at 80 mph on these roads, I am sure that things wouldn't have gone well.

I put the truck in park, got out, and surveyed the damage thinking I had broken the sector shaft, or even less likely, the pitman arm. Nope. Wrong. The three bolts that hold the steering box to the frame, had sheared off completely. The steering box was laying against part of my lift components, and all three bolts were still in the holes on the frame. It became evident that they had snapped, one by one, until the last bolt had broken from the wear/rust patterns on the bolts. I am BEYOND lucky this happened where and when it did.

I know its something I, nor anyone I have spoke to has ever thought about being a consequence of running a lift and oversized tires. Come to find out, after much research, that not only has this happened THOUSANDS of times with the Ford E-series vans under "factory" conditions, but it has led to numerous injuries of people who enjoy driving a truck like mine.

I do routine maintenance on my truck, and do visual inspections before long trips as well as heading out on the torn up dirt roads here. I am SURE, if I had known about this, I could have caught that one of the bolts had broken just by reaching up and seeing if the bolts were, tight, or loose. Yes, these are grade 8, heavy bolts, but were never tested to see how they would withstand the added stress. Mine broke right where they threaded into the steering box. It was NO fun getting the box out, and even less fun drilling, tapping, getting the thread-lock broke free, and getting the 1/2-3/4" of bolt left out of the box. Luckily, the process didn't ruin the threads, and I am now waiting on the replacement bolts from Ford, that won't be here until Thursday, thanks to the holiday. Those gems also run $9.58 a piece, and you have to order 4, even though it only takes 3. Go figure. I looked high and low for a replacement bolt that was collared with no luck. It'll be just as fun getting the box put back in and everything reconnected. I'm also going to replace the drag link, and may also add a second steering stabilizer while I'm at it. Once all that's complete, its heading to the shop to fine tune the steering as well as the alignment.

I know that there's a good chance that many of you already know about the gear box and bolt failure, but if this information can help one person down the road escape what could be a tragedy, it was worth the time to write this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Great info, and thanks for sharing. Well worth the time to write it as I'll be taking a close look at all the critical bolts as well as the other parts that could cause a catastrophic failure.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 AM

Hate to rain on everyone's parade but this is NOT a problem limited to lifted vehicles, I have a stock height (front) 03 350 and had the same problem about a month ago now. turns out 8 years (just under 500k on the odo) of harsh Montana winters with salted roads will cause failures as well. luckily I have a well equipped shop at the house and welded it back up and hopefully now that I'm in stuck in kommiefornia with no real winter I should be good to go.

Last edited by SmokinUpSoCal909; 07-30-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: spell check, oops!!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well thanks for the info. I'll give it a check today!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:25 AM

I never seen this thread.

Glad it was brought back up and also glad the OP took the time to write it.

I think I know what I am gonna do in a little bit.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:28 AM

Thanks for the info, Ill be doing a detailed check on my truck tonight.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 AM

thanks for the info, were there any signs that something was wrong? looking back now that you know what was happening had you noticed a change in your steering like play or any noise?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 AM

missed this on he first go round also ..

this isn't a common issue on the Fords that I have seen

I know Chevy trucks had a problem for may years ,, they even sell a set of weld on plates to fix the issue

were these OEM bolts ? grade 8 isn't always the end all answer for every application
because they can shear
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks like I'll be checking my bolts later. Thanks for bringing this up because it's not something that I think most of us would even think to check once in a while.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.