Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

loss of power/ horrible shaking

19K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  AFelix 
#1 ·
Ok ive searched everywhere and havent been able to find an exact cause to what im experiencing. I have an 03 7.3 with a 272k miles. I just replaced the hpop 1000 miles ago. Last week as i was driving down the road, when i was accelerating around 50 mph my truck started shaking really bad and quit accelerating. No matter how much gas i gave it it would not speed up. So i coasted off the exit and after that it drove fine. Now yesterday and today it has done the same thing on and off. On minute the truck runs great, the next minute it feels like somethings about to explode. If i turn the truck off and turn it back on my problem goes away until it randomly decides to come back. Im thinking it could be an UCV harness or valvle cover gasket but i dont want to start throwing parts at it. Im not getting and check engine light and no codes. Im stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Could be uvch like u said....could be idm got wet somehow. Possibly injector or 2 on their way out. Lots of possibilities. First step is to pop the hood!!!! Best of luck to ya bud. :beer:

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
Yeah im just trying to narrow it down as much as possible. Its becoming more frequent. Could a bad or dying fuel pump cause these symptoms? Mine seems to be makeing some strange noice when i turn the key. It usually has a constant buzz like sound but now it seems like it goes in and out. Maybe im losing fuel pressure??? Thanks again

#4 ·
Absolutely. Pump is pretty much on frame underneath driver seat. So turn the key to on and put head under truck. Should be a nice steady hum. No loud or surging noises. Have you run truck out of fuel lately? Could have crap in lines. How bout fuel filter? Air filter? But that fuel pump maybe the issue.

#5 ·
It got pretty about 2 weeks ago and about a week ago was the first time i experienced the shaking. It has a nice steady hum for about 3 or 4 seconds then it starts humming weird like its going in and out. Im stumped.

#6 ·
If that is original fuel pump it may be time for a new one. If it were my truck id try to blow air into the fuel lines going back into tank to try and get out any crap that may have gotten lodged if it had been run low. But with what your describing and the miles....just do a new fuel pump and be done with it. That sounds like you figured it out to me.

#7 ·
Ive had the truck for the last 2 years so as far as i know its original. Im gonna put a new filter and pump in it tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully no more problems and ill blow out the lines like you said. Thanks for your help. Ill let you know if it fixes it. Thanks man!

#9 ·
Sounds like fuel pressure to me. Any idea what your fuel pressure is?

#10 ·
What is your fuel level? If under 1/4 tank, add about 5 gal and try the truck again. Sounds like motor is sucking air, probably fuel pickup inside tank is broken and laying on the tank bottom, unless level is higher than where it broke, it will suck air and barely run then stall and not fire again

#11 ·
Idk what my fuel pressure is. thats my next gauge to add. I havent replaced my fuel pump yet i plan on it tomorrow when i get paid but the problem hasnt happened again yet. I think it is something in my tank like manowar said. It was under a 1/4 tank when it happened and my gauge fuel gauge acts weird sometimes. When i fill the truck up the gauge only goes to about 7/8 then after about 30 min of driving it will move to the full line. Im still up over a 1/4 so im gonna run it below and see if it happens again. It also seems like my fuel pump has gotten louder over the past few days. My buddy has a 99 7.3 and his pump is almost silent but mine is extremley loud. How loud are yalls pumps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.