Self engaging 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Self engaging 4x4

I've had this problem on and off for awhile now but tonight my 4x4 engaged itself and I couldn't get it back into 2wd like I usually do. I tried flipping it from High to Low then back to High then 2wd and the transfer case stayed engaged. When I flip it to 2wd, the front hubs will unlock but the transfer case stays in 4x4. I tried backing up, driving forward, flipping the auto hubs manually to lock then back to auto, absolutely nothing worked. Anyone have any other ideas and how I might resolve this issue all together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM

No one? I had the 4x4 disengaged partially to where I could spin the driveshaft completely but it still spun the front axle. Hubs aren't locked either.

Little more info:
Well, having a "WTF" moment... I had my mom cycle the 4x4 switch for me while I moved the driveshaft. I could turn the driveshaft about 1/2" when she cycled it to 2wd then when she cycled to 4x4 I could only turn the driveshaft 1/4". Then I was trying to turn it and I was able to spin the driveshaft all the way around so I thought I had it unlocked. The front axle shafts were still spinning so I was obviously wrong. Went to go for a test drive and started hearing the left front hub again, got out and sure enough it was still in 4x4. Any ideas? Shift motor perhaps?

Last edited by Toms01PSD; 03-28-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So the knob on the dash is set to 2 wheel high but the transfer case is engaging into 4 high as if you had turned the knob to 4 high. Do you think it might be a wire shorting out or a bad switch? Sounds like something is telling the transfer case motor to actuate. Bad switch, faulty wires, or bad motor. I have not had to work on my 4x4 system yet, but would think you could test each of the parts in the order I listed. All will have to be independently tested. Hope this helps!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM

I just read your post again, I missed where you flip to 2wd and the hubs unlock, sounds like a transfer case motor is locked up/ faulty
Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
I just read your post again, I missed where you flip to 2wd and the hubs unlock, sounds like a transfer case motor is locked up/ faulty
It's done this before a few times but I would just flip it to 4x4 on the dash then back to 2wd, back up 20 ft or so and it would be unlocked. I don't even try and put the truck in 4x4 and it will go in 4x4 by itself randomly, only this time I can't get it out... The hubs will lock and unlock with the dash knob, but the t-case won't and I don't want to tear up my t-case or front end. I tried messing with the connector on the shift motor but it's nice and tight on there so the connection seems good (obviously). I'm thinking shift motor now...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Forget that, its the operator....lol

Im thinking more and more its the motor. I would try to lightly tap on the transfer case motor and see if disengages. Also, see about taking it off of the transfer case, and manually getting the thing out of 4wd.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Old 03-28-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post

Im thinking more and more its the motor. I would try to lightly tap on the transfer case motor and see if disengages. Also, see about taking it off of the transfer case, and manually getting the thing out of 4wd.

I'm starting to think that with all the problems i've had with trucks over the years.

I dropped the skid plate awhile ago but it's too dark to mess with it tonight. I'll see if I can find a write up explaining how it comes out of there and if I can disengage it manually... I tried tapping on the motor on the side where the connector plugs in but I didn't have any luck doing that while trying to turn the driveshaft.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Turns out something is wrong internally with my transfer case. I pulled the motor and had someone flip the switch on the dash and I watched the mechanism function like it's supposed to. I then put a wrench on the piece that sticks out of the t-case that the shift motor connects to and flipped it between 2wd and 4x4 high/low manually. It was in the 2wd setting where it's supposed to be but it's still turning the front driveshaft. Now I have to pull my t-case and have it looked at.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:

Um......echo......echo.....

Hahahahahaha...least you got it figured out bud.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Um......echo......echo.....

Hahahahahaha...least you got it figured out bud.
It's not the shift motor, it's something interal in the t-case. I pulled the shift motor and watched it function properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.