Auto 4x4 not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto 4x4 not working

I live in Utah and during a recent snow storm I put my truck into 4 high while pulling into my driveway which has an incline. It seemed like the 4x4 wasn't working so I asked my wife to watch and see if the front wheels were turning. They weren't.
The 4x4 didn't engage until I locked the hubs from AUTO to LOCK position. Is this a hub problem not engaging in the AUTO mode or is there a vacuum problem or something else that will make the hubs not engage until put into LOCK position? The hubs are tight and have no movement in them and so I don't want to replace them if it's not the problem but I don't know how the AUTO works on these, if ran from vacuum or what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Vacuum.
I bet your air only blew on defrost when you tried to auto lock them.
Check the lines going to the hubs.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 PM
wants to go 2wd to 4wd

Send a message via AIM to SniperFolf
Agreed with the last post go down below and see it the vaccum lines are worn or tore up.. and see if they have suction.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I was thinking it was probably vacuum but I wasn't sure if that was how these hubs engaged or not.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:42 PM

What did u come up with? I am having the same problem.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked all vacuum lines and nothing looks rotted of unhooked. I am waiting for some time off work next week to put a dial on it and check the vacuum on the truck side and then a hand pump on the hubs to see if there is a leak on the hubs. I called and talked to a parts guy at the local Ford dealer and he said there is a seal that runs about $70 (can't remember what he called it) that holds the vacuum seal for the hubs. He said the hubs don't come with the seal you have to buy it seperate. He said they have alot of people who replace their hubs and not the seal and then their 4wheel won't work after the replace when it did before. Any one have any incite on this.
Also I was wondering if I replace my hubs because I have no idea how old they are and I am installing new rotors, calipers and shoes next week and don't want to tear up my new rotors. I looked at the Timken ones at Auto zone but the Ford parts guy (and yes I know he is wantong to sell me theirs) said they aren't made the same as the Ford ones and won't hold up. He said they have ballbearings in them instead of a cone something that Ford uses. Didn't Timken initialy help Ford design them? anyone know if the Timken ones are alright? They are half the cost of the Ford ones and do I really need these other seals when I replace them? My truck has 200,000 miles and I don't know how long the hubs have been on it so I was thinking of just doing them while I have it all apart.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Yes, keep me informed. Just bought an 02 Lariat 4x4. Found Temkin hubs at autozone. I am going with them. Temkin been around a long time with quality and come with 3 yr warranty. Harley-Davidson uses Temkin in their cases for years and my techs swore by them. I'm doing my hubs this weekend. Very happy to see vacuum procedure as I have the same problem.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited by wannapowerstroke; 05-02-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.