Pinion carnage! With pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pinion carnage! With pics

I just purchased two Super Duty's, a '99 F-350 and an '01 F-250. Both are 7.3L with 6sp, 4x4, super cab longbeds.
Anyway, I got the 350 on the road and had driven it about 30-40 miles, not knowing there wasn't any fluid in the rear diff. It didn't show any signs of leaking, and I'm guessing the fluid had leaked out over the past year and I consider it my fault for not checking the levels before getting it on the road. The result, the pinion is in two. I have limited knowledge of rear ends, mostly limited to what I have learned from this page http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...4b_Gear_Setup/
but from what I can tell, the only thing thats possibly salvageable from this is my carrier and ring gear. Anyone who sees different from the pics, please speak up.

Due to the hole where the pinion race goes basically trashed this whole rear end (housing?) right?

Last edited by eastenn; 03-27-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The hole is there to allow oil to pass to your outer pinion bearing. Your housing is good to go! Carrier looks good too! Take it apart and really check your clutches you may have to put new clutches in. If any amount of metal got into the clutches they are shot!! I just did my 08 and it was a pain!! I had to go from my 10.5 ring to 10.25 kit and it still sounds like crap!! I'm re-doing it all over and going with OEM 10.5 ring and pinion and install kit!! Retro-fitting to a 10.25 was a disaster!! Good luck with yours!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM

From the pictures the housing looks OK. I don't see anything wrong with the carrier either. Ring and pinion gears wear in as a matched set so you can't just replace the pinion, you have to replace the ring gear as well. As stinkbug says you should check the clutches while you're in there.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That ring gear looks amazingly intact!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:46 AM

^^^^thats what I was thinking!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input but I bought a used rear end soon after creating this thread and put under the truck. I still have the old rear end if anyone around east TN is interested. The truck is also for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.