E99 Wheel Bearing and U-Joint Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tristanlee85 Send a message via MSN to tristanlee85 Send a message via Yahoo to tristanlee85
E99 Wheel Bearing and U-Joint Replacement

I'm in the process of replacing ball joints on both sides and noticed that once the hubs were off, one had play in the bearing and the other was pretty tough to turn by hand. From what I have searched, seems like most of the people have bought replacement hub assemblies which seem to run about $300 each. I would much rather replace just the bearings if possible. What are the OE part numbers for the bearings so I can purchase them and have a shop press them in (if needed)?

Also, I have an E99, but I read that late 99 wheel bearings are cheaper, but only work with late 99 rotors. If this is the case, I'm buying new rotors anyway so I can purchase the years that match. Can anyone confirm this?

Lastly, I might as well replace the universal joints in the front axles while it's tore apart. I don't feel any play in them, but if they are not too difficult to change, I might as well do them now. What's the OE part number for them?

Truck is E99, single wheel, 4wd, w/o abs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 06:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm no expert, but I've been dealing with this on some of my trucks. mine start at a late 99 but from what i recall reading, you're correct that the e99 is different, but only because of the rotors, but i wonder if the calipers also need to be changed? the small bearing (carier bearing?) in the rear is the only servicable part, dont know the number since your's is early. taps right in with a block, no need for a press.

you say the one turns pretty hard, compare it with one off the shelf. I was surprised how much resistance they have new. you might be ok unless you're feeling some grinding.

paid about 380 for mine, but it might have been more for the abs. I was able to grease the internal bearings on one that was ok by removing the sensor. Don't know, but if the non-abs unit has a plug or something where the sensor would go, you may be able to do the same.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yes u can buy later models. buy wheel bearings and rotors from an 01 and u will be fine.
the early 99 units were not as plentiful so it costs more to make. 99.5 to 04 will work but aroung 03 the lug nut studs went to fine thread.
No u cant replace the main bearing its one piece. The needle bearing in the back side that rides on the spindle can be replaced part number napa b-2110 or ford c6tz3123a
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to tristanlee85 Send a message via MSN to tristanlee85 Send a message via Yahoo to tristanlee85
@mikenadmary:
I'm not able to compare one off the shelf, but I can see that it would spin with some resistance. Mine have the resistance, but there is also play in the bearings as I can wiggle the hub a good bit. The truck has 220k on it and probably all of this stuff is original parts. Might as well change what I can since it's apart.

I was able to dig up some more info from other sites after making this post. Everything is shot on the front end basically. Here is what I ordered, and hopefully everything matches up:

- Timken hub set (TIMKEN 515020 Ford Pickup Truck 4WD w/ABS Front Wheel Hub & Bearing Set Pair Kit | eBay)
- All new upper and lower Moog ball joints
- (2) OEM axle seals
- (2) PowerSlot Cryo rotors
- Set of Hawk LTS pads
- (1) reman caliper
- some replacement o-rings that I probably won't need since I got new hubs

U-joints, I checked everything over good and they seem just fine. I didn't order new ones, but they may come to bite me in the ***. Luck would have it they start to fail a month from now. I've already exceeded my budget for the broken stuff when I thought only ball joints needed replaced.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 AM

you might also want the inner dust seal that goes on the axle tube behind the u-joint

I went back and forth on the u-joints, decided to go ahead with it and be done. I had to replace one of my stub axles though, so i was already there. I replaced/upgraded shocks while i was at it. Was all a major pain, but went together easy, and it feels like a new truck now.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM

Dust seal was also on my purchase list so I will have 2 new ones. The shocks are fairly new as I did a 8" lift last fall/winter, but dual stocks are a want in my future. I have a feeling this thing will handle so much better. After seeing all the wear and tear on everything as I tore it apart, I'm glad I stopped driving it when I did. Wheels wobbled in turns and clunked when coming to a stop. I only had 1 front brake as the other caliper wasn't even functioning. Pretty scary stuff sitting up that high with that much weight.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

autozone carries these also http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=427668 and they offer a 3 yr warranty-- I have to order mine today, as I just noticed my wheels have play on both sides.. Just heard some hmmmm, brrrr sounds, so I jacked her up, yep, shot..
Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Location: Quit Iraq, got a house in Tooele, Ut, Back in a big wrecker playing in traffic!
snap on has a tool for removing the unit (wheel) bearings, I got it, and it works like a dream!

try 1AAUTO.COM or ROCKAUTO.COM for the unit bearings
Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 AM

I ended up getting brand new Timken hubs instead of just the bearings itself. With all new ball joints, hubs, calipers, Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads, this thing should handle nicely... are at least 500% better than previously.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you get it back together? I have left side done, same tightness in new hub that you metioned above, I can hold axle and turn the hub but if just turning hub, axle spins. Thought i might have seal press in too far, but the snap-ring on axle just fits.

Wondering how much heat will generate from the tight fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.