Crazy 4 wheel drive issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crazy 4 wheel drive issues

Ok so Ive used my 4 WD. high before with no issues. Went in and out just fine. Well today I used 4wd and it wouldnt go back to 2wd, so i tried 4wd low and it went into 4 low but wouldnt go back into 4 high or 2wd. So i was able to get it back into 2wd by jumping the motor on the transfer case. Well i tried tracking down possible issues. First i checked the 2 relays next to the Power Distro box and they werent there.. I have never taken them out and my 4wd has worked before... so wth is going on? Lol my truck is a 2001 with manual locking warn hubs. Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Maybe someone played a dirty trick on you? I mean, it HAS to be that if you've never taken the relays out personally. Just to be sure- you are actually saying the two big relays are not there right- I think there is empty spots in front of the 4wd relays that don't get used. Could be wrong.

If the relays are in fact missing, replace them and go from there. If it's still NO GO, be warned that sometimes the 4wd will throw a code that only the Ford computer (or AE) can read/reset. I had that happen- new parts- relays/shift motor and the "code" was preventing the system from functioning. Had Ford clear the code and all was well.

If memory serves, after new parts but before they cleared the code- trying to use 4wd resulted in either a blown fuse or relay.

I had the same issue as you- went into 4hi, then 4lo, wouldn't go back unless I took the shift motor off and shifted the trans case with a wrench.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help man.. I found another relay box, for some reason it wasnt on the little mount and it was hiding under the steering rod. Im thinking i have a bad relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.