Front axle turing when not in 4wd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front axle turing when not in 4wd

I replaced ball joints & U joint on drivers side a few weeks ago & I noticed that the axle on that side was turning when I would spin the tire. At first I thought my hub wasn't unlocking so I jammed a bar in the U joint & spun the wheel. Tire kept turning & axle stopped but there was alot of resistance there. Something was binding/jamming. So changed the ball joints & also changed the u joint, inner dust seal & outer seal that goes into the hub. I checked the wheel bearing & axle spindle area expecting to see soemthing. Everything looked good. I put everything back together & tested it. Shaft only turned when I locked the hubs. 4wd worked as it should. Checked it today it is doing the same thing.

Any suggestions is greatly appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 AM

I would pull/inspect the lockouts. I just had to replace both of mine on my 08
Old 11-25-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
I would pull/inspect the lockouts. I just had to replace both of mine on my 08

What are you referring to by lockouts?

I have already had everything apart & to my untrained eye everything looks ok. 1 thing I did notice is that when you take out the manual locking hub assembly behind that is a snap ring & then 3 washers. 2 regular looking washers & one that is shaped like a nut. When I take the snap ring off then the axle doesn't spin. It seems like those washers are binding up the axle a bit. If that's so I can't figure out why?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 AM

Took the manual hub assembly off both front tires. Passenger side turns very freely with or without the 3 washers & snap ring on. Drivers side has some resistance & a scraping noise with or without the 3 washers & snap ring on. When I take the washers off the axle doesn't turn but scraping noise is still there. When I put 2 of the 3 washers & snap ring back on axle doesn't turn. Put all 3 & snap ring back on & axle does turn. I don't have time today to tear everything apart so will do that tommorow but something is scraping/binding. Would a bad wheel bearing do this? There is a needle bearing in there somewhere isn't there Could that be the problem?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
did you get the seals pressed in far enough. Th one that holds the axel in? It does not realy hold it in, but its the one that tears(usually) when the axel is pulled out.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
did you get the seals pressed in far enough. Th one that holds the axel in? It does not realy hold it in, but its the one that tears(usually) when the axel is pulled out.
Well that's a good question. I thought I did. Doesn't the wheel bearing assembly "pull" everything tight & in place when you tighten it up? I had this problem before I did the ball joints. I measured how far the axle shaft is through the hub on drivers & passenger side. It was both the same. Not sure if that means anything though.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM

I'm guessing the needle bearings in your locking hub are whooped and it's causing the axle to turn
Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
I'm guessing the needle bearings in your locking hub are whooped and it's causing the axle to turn

Yah your probably right. Any ideas how to change them? I could buy a whole hub assembly but the needle bearing is much cheaper.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM

my driver's side axle was turning... upon investigation and pulling the locking hub out, I was quickly greeted by scattered needle bearings and an obviously frozen bearing where the axle rode. Thankfully no wear on the axle.

I ordered two Ford replacement hubs (no aftermarket available for later trucks)

The plan was to replace both and keep the driver's side as a spare in the toolbox. it promptly fell apart when I pulled it out! glad I ordered two!!! LOL

I believe if I had an early super duty, I'd just order a pair of quality aftermarket lockouts and be done with it
Old 11-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
Yah your probably right. Any ideas how to change them? I could buy a whole hub assembly but the needle bearing is much cheaper.
You can service & replace the needles alone -> Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.