Noise from Front --- or is it Back? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noise from Front --- or is it Back?

First of all, thanks for reading this post. I've definately reached the end of my "know how" and could use a little advice. Now to the point: I have a 2000 F250 PSD SWB Crew Cab FWD w/ 235K on it. At around 10MPH you can hear the noise start coming from the front. It gains in pitch the faster you get until it drops out around 50MPH. The noise sounds similar to what off road tires sound like on the highway. However it started on its own before I touched the tires. The noise is not responsive to engine speed or steering. I've replaced both front bearings, nothing. I've replaced both front tires, nothing. Took it to my mechanic (and ex-Ford dealer tech) and he claims the sound is actually coming from the rear, but he didn't have time to work on it. Took it to another local diesel shop, the mechanic drove it around the block and said it was the ring and pinion gear in the rear. He also said it was likely to cost me another $1500-$2000. At this point, I'm open to suggestions.
- Does the diagnosis sound feasible?
- Is the cost estimate reasonable?
- I have access to a lift, is this a DIY job?

I appreciate any help any of you can give me.

BTW, recent maintenance, about 2 weeks before this started, involved swapping out a seal in the rear and changing out the fluid for the first time ever.

Again, I appreciate any advice I can get.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, for those of you who read and wondered. The sound was indeed coming form the rear differential. There were two bearings going bad. 1) carrier bearing 2) pinion bearing. The carrier bearing was just normal wear and tear, 235K miles and it went. The pinion bearing was a different story. As stated previously (I think), a week prior to the noise starting I one of the seals replaced in the diff along with the fluid. Apparently it is quite easy to damage the pinion bearing during reassemble after replacing the seal. You have to be very careful not to overtorque the nut so that it doesn't cause the bearing to seize. Overall cost of replacing all bearings, $600. Alot better than the $1500-$2000 quoted from the other guys. Fixed, paid, now it runs like a champ. Its so awesome when you have a mechanic you can trust.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 PM

did it sound anything like what i am hearing?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry for the delay in response, I've been away for a few days. The sound from my truck did sound similar to what I'm hearing in the video, but I'm not 100% sure. The noise I had sounded like it was coming from the front (both me and my mechanic), when in actuality it was coming from the rear. As my road speed increased, the sound of the noise would get higher in pitch. Once you knew what to listen for, you could hear it at low as 5mph up to 50mph with the sound getting loudest at around 48mph. The noise only responded to road speed (drivetrain speed), it did not react to my steering (front hub bearing) or engine speed. After talking to my differential mechanic, I'm glad I didn't take it on myself. If the differential is your issue, I would recommend taking it to someone you trust because I very easily could have spent $1500-$2000 un-necessarily. I wish you the best.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM

i also thought it was the front until someone told me they thought otherwise which led me to jacking up the rear and putting it in drive to find that the noise continued. i have taken all the rear brakes apart looking for something rubbing because i first instinct was that the noise was rubbing due to rust build-up but i could not find anything.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same sound on my 02 ford F-250 was yours the rear pinion bearing too???
Old 09-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman1989 View Post
I have the same sound on my 02 ford F-250 was yours the rear pinion bearing too???
I actually sold the truck and never addressed the issue. So is that what solved it for you the rear pinion bearing? Did you have a shop do this? If so what did it cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.