Right Front Roaring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Right Front Roaring

A new issue cropped up on me today outta the blue. Driving down the highway at speed and I'll hear a screech sort of sound following by a roar that lasts anywhere from a second to nearly a mile. Had to get it home and began diagnosis. First thought was factory hubs trying to engage themselves, so i took them off and inspected them (all looked ok). Took it out for another test drive and it was still occurring (usually after hitting a bump). So, i then locked in the hubs manually and it would not make the sound. In order to totally rule out the hubs i then removed them and drove down the highway and it again made the noise. Fearing wheel bearing or differential. Anyone else hear of an issue like this? The only thing that looked out of place on the right side is dust cover is off inside the spindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Mechanic and I believe that it is probably the transfer case trying to engage itself randomly. Noise usually occurs when going over a bump or accelerating and then decelerating the truck (to kind of rock it). Mechanic drained the fluid just to check its status and it was BLACK. Not just dark, but BLACK. Replaced 3qts of fluid and test drove it and symptoms still persisted. Getting a used/warrantied T-case this weekend for a replacement. Hope it all goes well.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
These are typical symptoms of bad needle brgs in the ft hub. A cheap & easy fix.

The reason the roar disappears when the hub is Locked is that those brgs are no longer spinning as the stub axle now turns with the wheel....

Here's some info on the needle brgs, they're only about $10 and, as you can see, not too bad a job to replace.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Ralph, thanks for the information! Will definitely look into rebuilding my needle bearings in the near future. However currently I have totally ruled out the hubs as the sound persisted while driving the truck with the lock-outs completely removed and sitting on the cab floor. With them removed any sound still there would be indicative of wheel bearing, differential, or transfer case, right? Wheel bearings are tight. May investigate electrical as it seems like bumps make the t-case try and engage and a short or loose plug could cause it to try and engage. The thing that makes me not believe it's an electrical issue is the 4X4 light never illuminated our even flickers on the dash.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercrew View Post
Ralph, thanks for the information! Will definitely look into rebuilding my needle bearings in the near future. However currently I have totally ruled out the hubs as the sound persisted while driving the truck with the lock-outs completely removed and sitting on the cab floor. With them removed any sound still there would be indicative of wheel bearing, differential, or transfer case, right? .
No,,,,, I'm telling you, it could ALL be the needle brgs at this point.

Removing the hubs is just like UnLocking them. When the ft axle is Not spinning with the wheel, the stub axle need separate support. That's what the needles are for.

When bad, they chatter & ROAR against the stub.

The simple test is to do what you've already done. Manually lock the hub, eliminating them from turning, and if the noise goes away, THAT's your problem
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM

I am about to check these out. If this is my issue, 100 beers your way Ralph! Would this issue occur mostly when warm (20+) miles of travel and usually over bumps and whatnot? Heading out to tear into the knuckle right now. Thanks a bunch for all the help!!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 AM

So, pulled the right front hub and found the needle bearings bone dry. Worked a bunch of bearing grease in it after cleaning it and the shaft up. Drove it and all is well. Again, thanks NoRalPH!!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 AM

That's great! I would consider ordering 2 new ones (unless the other sides hub brgs have been replaced, new hubs come with new needles) because they So Cheap compared to what it takes getting to them, and if this side went, how far behind could the other be?

After you've pulled the Hub Assembly once, the second time goes Much faster with my DeWalt 14v 1/2" impact and a 13/16 deep socket, I can have it in my lap in 15mins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.