Suddenly lost all power to wheels in all gears - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Suddenly lost all power to wheels in all gears

F350 Super Duty, 2000, 4wd, 7.3, Auto Trans. I was towing my trailer and quad the other day. When I pulled out of a gas station and started to accelerate I suddenly lost all power to my wheels. It was like it was in neutral. I did a once over under the truck and checked the fluid. You can here spinning when you push on the throttle. I also checked the transfer case motor fuse which is good. The park position does work. Has any one had this problem. I need suggestions on what to do next. Any help will be appreciated. New Member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
Sounds like an issue with the torque converter
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

jair

I had the same problem and it was corrosion in the large electrical plug that sits on top of the driver side valve cover. What happens is the injectors on one side of the engine aren't getting any fuel so there isn't any power on one side of the engine. If this is your problem you need to take a sharp wire and clean each terminal in the plug. Let us know if this works for you.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We had this happen to us a year ago except we were at speed on the intersate headed into Albuquerque (dowhill). The cruise left off the throttle and when it went to pick back up we had lost all power to the wheels. We happened to be at an off ramp and coasted into a parking lot. Turned out the clutch plates had completely worn out and disentegrated. $4500 later, a new transmission, inline filter and HD torque converter we were back on the road. Had about 150K miles on tranny. We could back up a little, but no forward motion.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input. We are going to get into the drive train tomorrow and see what we can figure out. When we get to the bottom of the issue I'll post the results. I would welcome any diagnostic tips.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The quickest thing to do is pull the transmission pan and see what falls out. Mine was loaded with all kinds of metal. The transmission shop thought at first the planetary gears had come apart, but it turned out to be all the clutch plates. Of course the whole system was full of metal. They flushed the lines and cooler for an hour while they were getting a transmission and finding a torque converter (this was Christmas Eve morning). Couldn't find a standard converter, but someone had ordered a HD one and hadn't picked it up at one of their parts houses-otherwise we would have been stuck 800 miles from home on Christmas.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

It's one off the bearings. I don't know which one but it will cost you indeed what jdross says above. I had this happen in 09 in Yukon Territory in Canada with my F350 and the camper in the bed. Nearest dealer 250 miles in White Horse.
Stayed four nights with the camper in the used car parking lot.

Update with a non-ford improved tranny, some more money now but you will be safe for a long time.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

X2 on the torque converter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.